Come home to a flood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lol we came home from a party tonight to find water on the hardwood floors! At first I saw nothing visibly leaking but soon realized that right before we left house I fed live brine shrimp and carelessly dropped the net in the cabinet. Unfortunately it landed on the little hose from my aqua lifter dosing pump that supplies my calcium reactor and removed it from its filter. Only couple gallons spilled out but it looked like lots more on our wood flooring and sure made my wife mad! Now I'm in the doghouse (again) and may have to give her the birthday present (iPad) I have saved for her birthday tonight lol.

Look on the bright side. Maybe you can convince the need for a good controller with water alerts VIA text messages :)

You know, every time you give your wife a gift because she's mad, you're rewarding HER bad behavior.

MikeYQM said:
You know, every time you give your wife a gift because she's mad, you're rewarding HER bad behavior.

And reinforcing that when she gets mad, she gets what she wants! (which lets face it, women do get what they want)

You can't blame her for being mad after seeing water on her floors lol if its anything like me or my buddies one of the first promises to the GF/wife was I won't flood the house haha

She can be mad, sure. Rewarding her anger will only create a Pavlovian type anger response

MikeYQM said:
She can be mad, sure. Rewarding her anger will only create a Pavlovian type anger response

I think your looking a bit to deep into the psycology of this lol giving her a gift for you Fn up isn't quite the same as getting a dog to drool when you ring your bell.... It's kind of an unwritten law. When we (men) mess up we owe our GF/wife something.. been like that since day one ;) haha

Edit* something to live by and make things easier lol "a happy wife is a happy life"

If my BF/husband (albeit imaginary one LOL!) made a mistake like that, I'd be fine with it. She needs to realize that you couldn't have foreseen it. Keep the iPad until the bday - presents get spoiled if given before a birthday, and it makes the day so much more special.

Maybe get her some roses and say you'll help work to repair the floors, and that you're truly, honestly sorry? Unless she hates roses, then maybe sunflowers. :)

Lol I was just joking about giving the iPad early. Her birthday is in a week so I an waiting. Unfortunately she isn't an aquarium person so any reason she is given to dislike it (such as a small flood), gets blown out of proportion. She will cool off in time for the next one lol.

The one that gets water on the floor for me is when I am filling up with RODI. Sometimes it drips so slowly that you just leave it go for a couple hours. Easy to forget and go do something else or go to sleep for the night and then in the morning you've got gallons of water on the floor!

bioteacher said:
The one that gets water on the floor for me is when I am filling up with RODI. Sometimes it drips so slowly that you just leave it go for a couple hours. Easy to forget and go do something else or go to sleep for the night and then in the morning you've got gallons of water on the floor!

Ya I've flooded my rodi twice now.. last time I fell asleep and poured about 15 gallons of rodi on the floor :x lol

Mrc8858 said:
Ya I've flooded my rodi twice now.. last time I fell asleep and poured about 15 gallons of rodi on the floor :x lol

I've flooded mine out to but my rodi is in the basement beside a floor drain. The bad flood was when I was drip acclimating a feather duster and forgot about it till the following morning. 10-15 gallons of water on the floor, in the floor and down the basement wall below. Wife was not happy.

About 12 years ago I woke in the middle of the night hearing water running......ran out to the living room, sleepy eyed, half asleep to find water shooting out the top of the tank with pressure! A hose had popped off an old Seaclone protein skimmer powerhead & was pumping water straight out onto the floor, aprox. 20 gal worth. In my sleepy state I kept trying to unplug the powerhead while standing in water barefoot. Woke me up quickly after about the third electrical shock! That was my worst aquarium flood (being a plumber unfortunately I have seen/done worse lol)

Keithhjs said:
About 12 years ago I woke in the middle of the night hearing water running......ran out to the living room, sleepy eyed, half asleep to find water shooting out the top of the tank with pressure! A hose had popped off an old Seaclone protein skimmer powerhead & was pumping water straight out onto the floor, aprox. 20 gal worth. In my sleepy state I kept trying to unplug the powerhead while standing in water barefoot. Woke me up quickly after about the third electrical shock! That was my worst aquarium flood (being a plumber unfortunately I have seen/done worse lol)

That's actually pretty funny lol but I bet you didn't think so at the time....

Keithhjs said:

Im cracking up should be a diy thread. How to.

Back
Top Bottom