Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well today my power company came with there offer to replace my stuff in the tank and they told me they will give 500 bucks because its not there falt. I told them no I will setel at 66% they told me no so it looks like the fight is on.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they intentionally shut the power off and didn't give any warning then they are definitely liable. Just because you had no backups doesn't give them an excuse.

I mean, that's like saying if your car was smashed in a hit and run while parked along the sidewalk it's your fault because you could have parked in the driveway.

Legal analogy win.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
They didn't give you 24 hour notice?! (sorry coming in a little late)...that would be INFURIATING!!

I am pretty sure (I guess depending on the state) that a power company must give 24 hours notice...I may have missed it but are fish ok??
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I didn't get a notice irk if it an Arizona thing or not but I did loose three fish my mata tang Kline butterfly and green mandrein and a lot of corals
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mango
No I didn't get a notice irk if it an Arizona thing or not but I did loose three fish my mata tang Kline butterfly and green mandrein and a lot of corals
OMG!! heads will role!! You should go after them...and then keep us posted!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm surprised you got them to offer $500, that means they are taking some fault at least.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that offer for 500 is in writing then I would keep it and continue fighting. As far as I'm concerned it is proof they accept liability but don't understand how much financial damage they caused. Plus you can fall back on the written offer if they won't come off more.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Am I the only one that doesn't think the power company is at fault here? Maybe its because I get power outages regularly, and have taken the precautionary steps to avoid a flood. In my opinion them offering $500 was actually fairly generous because they are not at fault (in my opinion) because your system is designed to fail.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk and I am sorry for your loss. But trying to go after them because they had to turn off the power is a joke. they will turn your power off if you dont pay your bill of $100 would that make them liable if that is the reason your tank flooded? or if someone hit a power box with their car, and knocked the power out, would that make the power company liable?

Its like trying to go after the DWR because you got attacked by a bear in the woods because they didnt tell you bears were there....

Again I am sorry for your loss but I really dont think the power company is at fault here and you should have taken the $500.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would agree that the system was destined for failure, he was lucky not to have had a total failure sooner. You have to anticipate an eventual power outage when building the tank. It just so happened that the first time his power went out was not accidental, but a planned outage. Where I live we don't receive notices for that, but if they do where he live then I somewhat see the issue. I am stating that by offering anything they are atleast admitting partial fault.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to agree entirely, Yetee.

Tags
flood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com