Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

First off congratulations ,.... I would never have believed they would have settled for that much money if anything at all,... Granted,they may have not notified you of them shutting down the power for awhile, and for that they probably should have been responsible for a part of the damage BUT IMHO your tanks setup ( you) should have been responsible for 95 % of the damage,..if a car had hit a power pole and disrupted the power you would have had the same outcome, if you had a storm and a tree branch fell on a power line and disrupted the power you would have had the same outcome,...time to look up and say thank you,... Hopefully you've fixed the tanks setup so this won't happen again,....gotta love your tenacity ,.. Congrats,....Dary

Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I have went and put in check vlaves in so I killed power and no loss of water so it should be good now

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats totally awesome congrats on getting that much from them. maybe they will think twice about not lettign people know next time
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_mango
Yes I have went and put in check vlaves in so I killed power and no loss of water so it should be good now
Check value are not great, unless they are perfectly clean and checked often. I would not count on them period.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetee View Post
Unfortunately this is the reason most companies are very hesitant in giving apologies for inconveniences and things that are out of their hands, in writing. Because in the eyes of lawyers it is "admitting guilt", and in our sue happy society everyone feels they are entitled to compensation rather than take responsibility for themselves. As bad as it may sound I hope that the power company, if they gave it to him in writing, worded it correctly so as not to say they are at fault and that it was not signed. Which it sounds like they did because he said that they said it was not their fault and offered the $500 just to be nice.

Rob-Mango,
I am sure there was a good reason for them to turn the power off if they were doing things to a home. If you feel that they did not need to turn the power off then are you saying you would like to take responsibility for the workers that could be killed by getting hit by 220 or 480 VAC at 10,000 amps while they are fixing an electrical line going to a home? Your power could have been off for less than 5 mins, could have been all the time they needed to patch in a new line, depending on your return line sizes. you would be amazed at how fast 240 gallons can be drained from a tank.

Also I was not saying you didn't pay your bill, that was an analogy. In my opinion the power company already tried to make things more than right, but you want them to pay for your negligence as well. I hate to sound like a jerk but the Sue Happy American attitude really bothers me....
Me too, Yetee.

Can't even believe you got $4500 out of that, it's completely absurd. Must feel good taking money that isn't yours...next time, go outside and yell at a bolt of lightning for causing your power to go out. That would be comical.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah yeah yeah every one can bad mouth the fact that it was my falt but there own company (that is who awarded the money) even agreed it was there falt they were doing a service upgrade and from what they made it sound like was they put a digital metre on the house and that's it no reason to kill the whole blocks power for that that is y they only gave 75% not like I sued them for more........... whatelese can I do to help sop this from happening again all 4 of my returns are on the bottom of my tank I don't like the way stand pipes look any ideas
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not really clued up on returns but maybe take some of that $4500 and buy a new tank, reposition returns and be stress free?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronalam View Post
Not really clued up on returns but maybe take some of that $4500 and buy a new tank, reposition returns and be stress free?
Or, spend the $4500 on home repairs. That's what the money was for, no?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

No he said the 4500 was to replace livestock and equipment. He said earlier in the post the tank was on a tile floor so there wasn't any damage. I do think that $4500 was an absurd amount for the power company to give someone who was essentially at fault for this accident. Just my .02, but if you can get it more power to you.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha! Man, should have read. So they paid him $4500 for HIS mistake, got it!

Tags
flood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com