come home to a house that is flooded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am truly sorry you had such a bad incident, if that offer is in writing then hold on to it and fight for more, if they don't give then fall back on it and call it your lucky day. If it isn't it writing, then take that $500 as fast as you can.

Unfortunately this is the reason most companies are very hesitant in giving apologies for inconveniences and things that are out of their hands, in writing. Because in the eyes of lawyers it is "admitting guilt", and in our sue happy society everyone feels they are entitled to compensation rather than take responsibility for themselves. As bad as it may sound I hope that the power company, if they gave it to him in writing, worded it correctly so as not to say they are at fault and that it was not signed. Which it sounds like they did because he said that they said it was not their fault and offered the $500 just to be nice.

Rob-Mango,
I am sure there was a good reason for them to turn the power off if they were doing things to a home. If you feel that they did not need to turn the power off then are you saying you would like to take responsibility for the workers that could be killed by getting hit by 220 or 480 VAC at 10,000 amps while they are fixing an electrical line going to a home? Your power could have been off for less than 5 mins, could have been all the time they needed to patch in a new line, depending on your return line sizes. you would be amazed at how fast 240 gallons can be drained from a tank.

Also I was not saying you didn't pay your bill, that was an analogy. In my opinion the power company already tried to make things more than right, but you want them to pay for your negligence as well. I hate to sound like a jerk but the Sue Happy American attitude really bothers me....

I know that here, they are not responsible for anything set up improperly. Neither insurance nor anyone else will pay for damages caused by my inability to set up my tanks. For example, if this had happened at my last apartment, I would have been responsible for ALL damages incurred by the wter because I had failed to set it up.

Definitely depends on the laws in his area. If there is a law saying a 24 hour notice is required then he deserves compensation. If not, he should take the 500 as quick as he can.

Unfortunately this is the reason most companies are very hesitant in giving apologies for inconveniences and things that are out of their hands, in writing. Because in the eyes of lawyers it is "admitting guilt", and in our sue happy society everyone feels they are entitled to compensation rather than take responsibility for themselves. As bad as it may sound I hope that the power company, if they gave it to him in writing, worded it correctly so as not to say they are at fault and that it was not signed. Which it sounds like they did because he said that they said it was not their fault and offered the $500 just to be nice.

Rob-Mango,
I am sure there was a good reason for them to turn the power off if they were doing things to a home. If you feel that they did not need to turn the power off then are you saying you would like to take responsibility for the workers that could be killed by getting hit by 220 or 480 VAC at 10,000 amps while they are fixing an electrical line going to a home? Your power could have been off for less than 5 mins, could have been all the time they needed to patch in a new line, depending on your return line sizes. you would be amazed at how fast 240 gallons can be drained from a tank.

Also I was not saying you didn't pay your bill, that was an analogy. In my opinion the power company already tried to make things more than right, but you want them to pay for your negligence as well. I hate to sound like a jerk but the Sue Happy American attitude really bothers me....

I would not advise suing anyone in this. I was simply stating that he should take it if they are offering, and if they have accepted fault try to negotiate for a little more. I too hate these lawsuits that have swarmed our legal system.

OK for one thing I am not going to go to court over this what I was meaning by the fight is on was they told me that if I didn't want to take the five hundred I can take it to the power company's clam and litigation department and see if there is something that can be worked out I am not Sue. Happy so no that is not what I want to do and if they can't work something out I can still get there offer but yes it would b nice if they will help out because it will take me a long time to get my tank back to how it was.

Take the amount offered and run. Lesson learned with some money in hand.
A pipe broke on my side of the water meter and my water company sent me a bill for $4000.00. I had to fight them for 2 yrs in court. Finally they dropped it. But cost me 1000 bucks to fight. They later credited my account the 1000 but the battle went on for a total of 5 years. Cities can be nasty. And they are powerful.

Bige said:
Take the amount offered and run. Lesson learned with some money in hand.
A pipe broke on my side of the water meter and my water company sent me a bill for $4000.00. I had to fight them for 2 yrs in court. Finally they dropped it. But cost me 1000 bucks to fight. They later credited my account the 1000 but the battle went on for a total of 5 years. Cities can be nasty. And they are powerful.

I'll have to agree here,...take the money and run,...lick your wounds,...." rub some dirt on it ".... Try and set things up so it'll not happen again,..im surprised threy even offered you anything! ,.... Lesson learned,...time to move on to the next project

Update: went to the power company's 3rd party claims company found them liable for the loss and awarded me 75% of replacement cost. So I got them to cover around 4500 bucks. So I guess that is good enough.....

Fantastic!! I am glad you got more for it :) but remember there is still a lesson to learn...next time it may not be their fault...so do what you gotta to make sure it doesn't happen again :) but congrats!!

First off congratulations ,.... I would never have believed they would have settled for that much money if anything at all,... Granted,they may have not notified you of them shutting down the power for awhile, and for that they probably should have been responsible for a part of the damage BUT IMHO your tanks setup ( you) should have been responsible for 95 % of the damage,..if a car had hit a power pole and disrupted the power you would have had the same outcome, if you had a storm and a tree branch fell on a power line and disrupted the power you would have had the same outcome,...time to look up and say thank you,... Hopefully you've fixed the tanks setup so this won't happen again,....gotta love your tenacity ,.. Congrats,....Dary

Yes I have went and put in check vlaves in so I killed power and no loss of water so it should be good now

thats totally awesome congrats on getting that much from them. maybe they will think twice about not lettign people know next time

rob_mango said:
Yes I have went and put in check vlaves in so I killed power and no loss of water so it should be good now

Check value are not great, unless they are perfectly clean and checked often. I would not count on them period.

Rob-Mango,

Me too, Yetee.

Can't even believe you got $4500 out of that, it's completely absurd. Must feel good taking money that isn't yours...next time, go outside and yell at a bolt of lightning for causing your power to go out. That would be comical.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah yeah every one can bad mouth the fact that it was my falt but there own company (that is who awarded the money) even agreed it was there falt they were doing a service upgrade and from what they made it sound like was they put a digital metre on the house and that's it no reason to kill the whole blocks power for that that is y they only gave 75% not like I sued them for more........... whatelese can I do to help sop this from happening again all 4 of my returns are on the bottom of my tank I don't like the way stand pipes look any ideas

Not really clued up on returns but maybe take some of that $4500 and buy a new tank, reposition returns and be stress free?

No he said the 4500 was to replace livestock and equipment. He said earlier in the post the tank was on a tile floor so there wasn't any damage. I do think that $4500 was an absurd amount for the power company to give someone who was essentially at fault for this accident. Just my .02, but if you can get it more power to you.

Back
Top Bottom