comimg into the light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all.
I have come to the conclussion that My lighting is not what it needs to be for the tank I have set up.

I only have 120w flour for my 55g, and I am trying to grow anemones and corals with it. Now i see that this might be goos for the fish it is inadequate for the inverts.

While I see the need to improve the light source, my wallet says it is fine the way it is. good lights are quite spendy aren't they? Does anyone have any used VHO or COMPACT that is more affordable for me and will meet the needs of my tank.

Thanks,

Howard

Howard, The problem is that used VHO or Power compact bulbs are just as bad as not having enough light to begin with. After a period of time (less than 1 year) the specitrum and intensity on the florecent bulbs drops to a point that they are less useful for our aquariums.

If you have anenomes you should really shoot for as high outputlight as you can. Preferablly 2 175W MH bulbs and some VHO actincs.

You might want to look on Ebay for affordable MH lighting. I'd have to agree with fishfreek that MH is the way to go if you're keeping anemones, ect... I'll admit you could probably cram enough VHO or PC on top of the tank to do the job, but not much (if any) cheaper than you could do a DIY MH setup. You might find some used ballasts at a good price, but new is the only way to go with the bulbs. A MH/VHO or MH/PC setup would be the best way to go.

Hey, thanks for all the great input. I certainly wouldn't want used bulbs. but the fixtures would surely come in handy.

I did some shopping on the net and found the price of MH way out of my league right now. What I did find was a PC unit that is new on Ebay. Tell me what you think.

It is a 48" 65watts x2 with a 10,000K premium natural and a 460 nanometer ultra actinic.

$109.00

Two of those would fit on the top of my tank if the one would not be enough for now.

Is this something I should be snatching up or not?

I based the recomendation for MH on your comment about possbly doing anenomes. If you take them out of the equastion then VHO or PC would be find for most soft corals.

the PC bulb is 24" approx long. With your 55 being longer than that you may get some shaded parts on the ends.

If money would permit I would do 4 55/65W PC's. Two on either side of the center line of the tank. This would give you good all around lighting.

Back
Top Bottom