Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
IMO you are probably OK on BIO load for now since you only have a couple of larger fish and the rest do not produce a huge amount of waste. A 132g may sound huge, but unless you have a large sump to go with it you are still somewhat limited. In comparison I have a 90g with a 30g sump( only 12g less than you) and 8 fish which I consider myself maxed. Remeber your fish will grow. Those 1" chromis can someday be 3-4" monsters.

Also, keep in mind that all that rock displaces water volume. In reality my 120g of capacity is probably more like 100-110g because of all the rock I have.

My larger concern is how fast you are adding all these fish. It seems like every few days you are posting about a new addition(not using QT if I recall). By adding the fish so quick you are not allowing your sytem to naturally react to the increased bio load. If you continue adding fish you could cause you tank to go back into a mini cycle and risk losing all you have with an amonia spike.

IMO, the best advice anyone can give in this hobby is to be patient and take it slow. While you are waiting do as much research as you can on any potential additions or changes you want to make.

This is defianetly not a hobby for the impulsive. Just think about how much time and $ you have invested so far and you are just starting out. I think a lot of SW hobbyist burn out and leave the hobby because they try to ovedue it right away and when their system crashes they give up. I have almost been there myself. My current system is 3 + years old and still growing.

Bottom line, Do not do anything else for a few months and let your system mature. A SW setup really does change a lot in the first 6 months. You do not want to reach your max bioload right away. If a natural swing occurs it leaves no room for error if your bioload is already maxed out.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
I agree, go a bit slower. Think about a sump/fuge for more water volume and nitrate export, and maybe a phosphate reactor for your phosphates. Those will help alot assuming you feed every day.

20 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Sounds like good advice to me.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
I just re-read some of your posts and one thing I would strongly suggest it to start adding a cleanup crew of snails and crabs as well as a cleaner shrimp(a while later) instead of anymore fish.

If your tank is only 6 weeks old including cycle that means it just completed cycling. The cleanup crew does not add to the bioload and will only help by removing any leftover food and other potential amonia producing items.

Realistically you could easily have 50-60 each of assorted snails and reef hermit crabs. Not all at once of course, but 25-30 of each would not be a bad start in that size tank.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
We have all been in your situation. When starting a new tank you want so badly to have the perfect looking tank like at the LFS or like what you see online. These type of tanks take time and patience. By not QT'ing your fish and adding a new fish or removing a fish every other week, you are asking for trouble. Stress your fish out enough and they will get ich.

When you add a fish, invert or coral, they need time to acclimate to their surroundings. A day or 2 is not going to do it. Just be patient. You tank might be able to handle your idea of the perfect tank inhabitants but you need to let your tank mature more and let it catch up with the additions you keep adding.

Good Luck.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com