Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to SuperWade2
Comments on my Stocking "Wishlist"

I didn't want to completely hijack Vanphyre's Stocking Thread, and I am getting exciting looking at what fish I want to add... Here is what I'm considering... I know that I can't add these all at once...
but would be interested in opinions on compatability, timing and order I should add these.

46 Gal Bowfront, 80 lbs LR, 50 lbs LS... FOWLR, no plans for Corals, at least not now.

(2) Ocellaris Clownfish or True Percula Clownfish
(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
(1) Flame Angelfish OR Coral Beauty Angelfish OR Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby
(1) Flame Hawkfish ---> Maybe add later
Clean Up Crew - Probably one of the 30Gal Packages from LiveAquaria or Saltwaterfish to start with.

I also like this fish, but probably won't consider until my tank is much more established.

(1) Green Mandarin

Is this too much stock to think about in a 46 Gal? If so, what should I leave out and/or add?

Thanks for the Advice and Opinions

SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think it'll be fine. I've never had a green mandarin before but i was looking into getting one until i heard how difficult they were to keep. like you said though, make sure your tank is well established and you have a good supply of pods for it to feed on if you decide to get one. I'd add the flame angel last because besides the flame hawk, that will be probably your most aggressive fish. Let all the other ones establish their territories first. I'm still kind of new at this but I've been doing a lot of reading on stocking my 29 gal with some of the fish you listed. Hope this helps. by the way if you were thinking that you may in the future want to throw corals in there, i think the flame angel will be your best bet in the long run for compatibility. however i dont know much about the cherub angel so i cant say either way.

ntswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
dwarf angels are known to nip at corals, so if you are planing on getting corals, it is not wise to get the angels. some have had good responses , others bad, the risk is yours. as for the mandarin, make sure there is an estabished tank with lots of live rock and LOTS of pods. other than that, everything is fine.........
visions of a dragon

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to SuperWade2
Thanks for the replys...I REALLY don't think I know enough or have enough experiences in general to even think about Corals for 1+ Years, so I'm guessing this 46 Gal will always be a FOWLR and if I decide to go corals and stuff later, I'll do it in a larger tank. My main driver for getting this tank setup is so my kids could watch some fish... and then I decided I liked the SW Fish and went in that direction.

Are Clowns better in Pairs, or might I be able to squeeze 3 in there if I was going to wait or pass on the Flame Hawkfish?

What about the order I add them? And how much time should I wait between adding different fish... I don't want to overload my system with 6 new fish all at the same time...

Here is the order I was considering;

#1 - Cleanup Crew
#2 - Clownfish, Goby, Basselet
#3 - Flame Hawk <If I decide to get one>
#4 - Dwarf Angel
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
I would suggest 2 clowns, no more. Anymore than that in your tank and the clowns will battle for dominance and the results won't be too pretty. Your orders of adding fish seems fine to me. Naturally you should look into a quarentine tank before adding fish to your main system, but that isn't always an option for everyone I suppose.
I Am The End.
DeathWarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
Excellent choices...

Reese is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com