Common Hermit Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandals

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a question regarding hermit crabs. I bought one probably a year ago. He has been great! He was somewhat of an overactive crab, always climbing on everything. Well over the past few weeks I noticed I am getting low on my algae growth which I think was a result from a water change. My crab has become quite inactive. I thought maybe he was starving to death, so I handed him a piece of chicken (that is all I had around) and he jumped on it like wildfire. It is apparent he is not getting the food he once had. So how often should you feed these guys? I don't want to overfeed him, or underfeed him. I appreciate all the responses!

Reefrunner

Where can I get shells from? I ordered a box of them once from Ebay, and my hermit jumped in the biggest one I had....Not sure where I can purchase them in a larger size than what he is currently occupying. Thanks for your time!

I see them on eBay from time to time, and I know LiveAquaria.com sells some too. I never got any so i don't know how big they come. They are from turbo snails on liveaquaria so they can get pretty big. If you don't see any at your lfs i would call or email liveaquaria and see what size they have since they have always been helpful to me.

Try the local hobby/craft store as well. They will often sell a variety of shells. Just be sure they are unpolished/unvarnished and I would boil them before adding to the tank.

Cheers
Steve

I know on LiveAquaria you can list a special note on your orders, or if you talk to a sale rep, they can make that special note... as to how large or small you would like.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom