Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
compact flourecent lights?

why do compact florescent lights get such a bad rep? also what is the big deal w/actinic 03? what is the difference between actinic and actinic 03? isn't actinic 420 or actinic 460 ok to use too? thanks for the advice!

boxxmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, welcome to AA! I hope you enjoy the site!

PC's don't get a bad rep at all. However, on larger SW tanks, MH lighting just gets way more cost effective.

Plus, PC's are still kind of new, while VHO's have been around a long time, and have been a SW staple during that time, so 'old timers' aren't willing to change to PC's (which really offer no additional benefit over VHO, so why pay to change?).

Any bulb that is blue can be labeled 'actinic'. Actinic03's are true actinics with the proper 420-460nm peaks in the spectrum. Actinic 420 and Actinic 460 are just very specifically stating where the peak is, and yes they are fine too.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I love PCs for smaller aquariums!

They just have a larger footprint than I would want for larger/deeper tank lighting purposes.

I know this will sound lame but I also really like the way a smaller (size not wattage, like MH) bulb will refract with the surface of the aquarium being disturbed like lines on the bottom of the ocean. I have only gotten this from MH bulbs, I think it simply is because the light is distributed over a much larger area with flourecents and the refraction is diluted by this. But I could be wrong.
Royal Gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
I have PCs, but if I were to do it again I would go MH to increase my coral options.
Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com