Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

compact flourescent question

as you might know i'm in the process if setting up my 120 gal (48x24x24). I'm going to use 2x 250 watt MH (6,500k or 10,000k can't decide).

i saw that hellolights has their 2x 55 watt ARO CF ballast kit- square pin. on sale $69.99. or do you think i should go with 96 watt.

will this be enough light? what is the difference between these and power compacts?

i want to keep everything sps, clams, etc.

please let me know what you would do with your 120gal!

TIA

mark

Old 01-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
CF and PC are the same.

96W bulbs are 3' long where as 55W bulbs are 2' long. Having a pair of 55W bulbs would give you greater coverage and just slightly more light. I take it your wanting to have the PC's be actinic?

If you doubt the 2 X 55W setup then maybe you want to think about doubling that.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

would this be adaquate for a full reef set-up? or do you think 4x 55watt be better?

thanks fishfreek

mark
Old 01-24-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

also isn't the general rule of thumb 2-3 watts per gallon?

mark
Old 01-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #5

The watts per gallon rule doesn't apply when dealing with MH lights. With a 120, 2X250's will be good but you are going to want at least a 4X55 watt PC 03 Actinic supplement... Now of course you could go with the 20,000K MH bulbs and have prolly a good blue hue....
Old 01-24-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
watts per gallon doesn't apply when dealing with mh?
Old 01-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Mark,

You have some very good questions and I think the answers depend on a lot of variables. It also depends on how concerned your are with the health of your inhabitants as well as the appearance of your aquarium. Sometimes these two items are at odds based on what you are keeping. In fact many aquariums largely contain species from a variety of areas each with varying natural environments and different demands for lighting. (not to mention water chemistry).

It is a rough job to try to find a happy medium between all of these constraints. I would not even venture a guess as there is a lot to making these decisions. However, I would like to suggest that you take a look at some of Bob Fenner's comments on Marine Aquarium lighting and its objectives:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/se...ting/index.htm

I personally think that we are all a little too light crazy. In fact , based on the output of many of these hi-intensity MH 20,000k bulbs we are effectively having home fish fries.

Well, hope you take a look at that particular article (link above) it is really comprehensive and will perhaps give you enough info to answer some of these questions. Particularly note that Depth is more critical than watts/gallon.

Lata'

Tom
Old 01-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
No it doesnt. THe reason is lets say you put 1MH bulb in the smack middle of a 4' long tank. Sure its 250W and sure thats just over 2W per gal but the bulb is not going to be lighting up the entire tank evently. There will be a bright spot in the middle and the sides will be heavily shaded. So the center will get the most light and the sides will get almost none.

This is why we always suggest 1MH bulb for every 2' of tank lenght.

Florecent bulbs will light up the entire length of the bulb and the light is evenly distrabuted over that lenght so if you have a bulb lets say 4' long you will have basicliy the same intensity thru the entire lenght of the bulb. This is why 2 2' bulbs end to end is better than 1 3' bulb because you get greater coverage.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:03 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The truth about lighting

Corals, light, pigments and junk

Two very interesting threads on another forum which kind of go hand in hand with the discussion.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i appreciate all the help.

but would i be able to keep a reef with 2x 55 watt CF and 2x 250watt MH?

the money is kinda of tight and i only was able to get the above

TIA

mark

Tags
compact flourescent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com