compatabilty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sure there are some great success stories out there.

For me, just keeping them healthy is enough of a challenge. I don't need the thrill of pushing my luck. ;)

michealprater said:
any one have any interesting stories about keeping two fish together that aren't suppose to be compatable?

Not very interesting, but I have a dwarf pygmy angel and a coral beauty together. They fought like hell for the first couple days, but they're best buddies now. They hang out together all the time.

Now for a question. I have a 29 set up for my son with a pair of oscellaris clowns and a bubble tip anemone. The clowns want nothing to do with the bubble tip.

What type of clowns can I put in there that will accept the anemone, but not tear into the oscellaris clowns?

i was in the exact same situation and i added a tomato. He took to the anenome with in 15 minutes and never even bothered the ocellarises unless they go to close to his host. I wont guarentee you will have the same luck, but hey, it worked for me. In a 46 gallon tank.

Did you add a single tomato or a pair? I know that certain types cannot be kept in pairs. like gold stripe maroons. I tried that once, luckily I had a second tank already set up.

I have seen instances where it takes 6 weeks or better before the clown finally decides to take up with the host anemone. Other times it happens within minutes. Certain clowns seem more likely to form this relationship than others. Wild caught clowns are much more dependant on a host anemone than tank raised clowns also. Skunk Clowns seem to be the most dependant on an Anemone and do not fare well if not provided one. I have added clowns to tanks already housing clowns and have found that the best chance for success is to get clowns that differ fairly significant in size. If you add a clown close to the same size as what is in there you usually have squabble over dominance. If you add a larger or smaller specimen than what is in there, after a few initial days of bickering, it is decided that the big guy is the dominant one in the tank and they coincide peacefully from then on.

No story for me but my neighbor had a tank about 4 months ago (10gal) and bought three bala sharks and some guppies. The sharks ate the guppies, grew way to big in like a month, and died. Sad but i didnt know about fish then.

Back
Top Bottom