Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Compatibility

So, I need to expand my clean up crew...alot, but I'm unsure on some things.
First, do peppermint shrimp, blue/red legged hermit crabs and emerald crabs get along?
I've heard some things about not getting emerald crabs but I thought I should bring it up anyway. Helpful replies would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

I wouldn't do the emerald crabs. i have had customers watch them eat snails, hermits, shrimp, and even small fish.

The little micro sized hermits are good, snails are even safer. Large snails can knock things over a lot more easily. I do prefer large nassarius though, the little ones just don't seem to be enough.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Crabs and shrimps are opportunistic feeders. You always run a risk buying them. As the saying goes, "there's always one", applies here. I have several emerald crabs, and a cbs, and I've had zero issues with them. My clown will even sleep next to it and they don't bother each other. But like the previous post, there were issues with the emerald crabs. So it's always a roll of the dice.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have two tanks with Emerald Crabs. One is a 29 gallong and the other is a 75 gallon and "knock on wood" have not had problems in either tank. I have small fish, fire shrimp and even hermits and the Emerald Crab has not shown a bit of interest. I have only one in each tank however, I would not personally keep two in the same.
As far as peppermint shrimp I have had no luck. They either hide or my BTA eats them.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and blueleg hermits all in the same 75 gallon tank. Actually it has a CBS, cleaner shrimp and Halloween hermit as well. No issue amongst anyone. The emerald crab will occasionally posture towards the other inhabitants if the get too close during feeding time. Otherwise has never been been aggressive. One time I saw two of the emerald crabs fight each other but that was partly my fault. I was rearranging some rock and they both wanted to hide under the same rock.

Tags
compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com