Complete aquascape teardown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I have an issue of dying fish with a mystery clicking sound that has to be a pistol or mantis or something. I also have a reef lobster that is a suspect in the fish deaths and I want to get out. He is burrowed in the very bottom back corner of my 125g reef. I am considering removing all of the rock and treating it to find that shrimp, catch the lobster, and treat all rock with aiptasia while I am at it.

Anyone have any ideas how I should go about this? I am guessing that I have about 150 lbs of lr.

You could maybe set up a trap and see if he goes in? I took some lr out of my tank and redid the scape. By doing that I stirred up my sandbed and grew a lot of diatoms/algae.

I am trying trapping now without any luck so far. I have a lot of concerns about pulling everything apart. That is why I am looking for people's experiences.

What do I do with the fish when all the rock is out? Just leave them in the tank?

What about all my corals an rock with Zoas? Should I dip those in a coral dip?

How do I vanguish any small shrimp that might be burrowed in a rock? I have heard about freshwater dips, but don't know the specific of that or of any harmful effects on the lr.

I had to do the same thing to remove a demon damsel from my tank. He killed 7 shrimp and 3 fish. I siphoned water out an into a styrofoam container that the rock came in and put all my rock in there. Caught the fish and re-scaped it. It didn't harm any of my corals during the process. It stirred up a bunch of stuff but it didn't take long for the tank to settle back down. It's a hassle but might be the option your left with. I spent 2 months with a minnow trap in the tank with no luck.

I had to do the same thing to remove a demon damsel from my tank. He killed 7 shrimp and 3 fish. I siphoned water out an into a styrofoam container that the rock came in and put all my rock in there. Caught the fish and re-scaped it. It didn't harm any of my corals during the process. It stirred up a bunch of stuff but it didn't take long for the tank to settle back down. It's a hassle but might be the option your left with. I spent 2 months with a minnow trap in the tank with no luck.

Did you just leave the rest of your fish in the tank?

He was the only fish we had left. He killed the other damsel that we had, then killed the goby and cardinal fish that I added later. And every time a shrimp would get close to him he would kill it. At the time when I pulled everything out, it was just him, my sand sifting star, and the hermit crabs and snails of my CUC. I just left all them in there and made sure not to smash anything when I put the rock back in. I'm sure the other fish will be fine. Just make sure they don't come out inside a piece of rock!!

You can just remove your fish and put them into 5 gallon buckets with airstones and a heater. I recently moved my tank and my fish/coral were in buckets for over 8 hours perfectly fine while I aquascaped.

Back
Top Bottom