Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Ever thought about running filterless?
I run filterless now. 13 41.94%
I've thought about it. 7 22.58%
Pure insanity 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I have enough lr (90 lbs main/20 lbs in the sump) with my 55 gal to run filter less and I could just run GAC and other media in my sump but I’ve used the bio-wheels for 10+ years now and feel more comfortable with them then without

Since I haven’t had any no3 issues as others have I see no reason to take them off since I also like the capability of just transferring the wheel to my QT as needed. My 350 Magnum runs completely empty most of the time with the exception of some lr rubble. I don’t use the media container or any filter sleeve unless running GAC or other media.

I’m wondering why you are having the micro-bubble issue or why your canister is making your water dirty. Which HOB did you go with?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Jermz,

I think you would be fine.

I am not sure but my HOB filter only throws bubbles when the water level is below the lip rim... not if it's just above and it flows right on the water surface.

29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey tec!

I went with the Marineland Penguin 350B and I keep the water level above the outflow lips by about 1/2" .... the bubbles are really really bad. My water isn't dirty, what I was saying is that the Micro Bubbles make my water look dirty.

What do you think I should do?

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Still trying to figure out where it’s sucking air from Only thing I can think of is the intake strainer isn’t seated on tight enough. My canister creates micro bubbles when I first turn it back on after a pwc but it fills up again and goes away after a couple of minutes.

You only have lr rubble now in the canister? I’ve seen this filter in action but have never observed an excessive bubble problem but they had the standard carbon filter.

The FAQ at wetwebmedia.com might help

If you can’t get the bubbles under control I really can’t see the harm of taking it off and adding another ph or only using the HOB when wanting to run media since you don’t have a sump. I assume your tank has room for the lr rubble.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I don't have a canister style filter, it's an HOB Penguin 350B w/dual Bio-Wheels. I don't know either where it's coming from but I do know that it's really pissin me off!
And yeah ... only running LR rubble in one side of the filter, the other side was left empty incase I wasnted to run some carbon.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Maybe pull it off, take it all the way apart, clenaing everything and making sure all is secure... and see how that goes... or you can get a different HOB... The Millenium 3000 is a super choice and you can get it new 1/2 off on Ebay
29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the HOB is brand new and I'm sure everything is set good, I made sure because I've had HOB's leak before and it's not pretty!

I don't know what to do. I'd love to go filterless if I knew it wasn't a risk, I'm getting a lot of mixed reactions here so I don't think it's the best idea.

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 05-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermz79
I'd love to go filterless if I knew it wasn't a risk, I'm getting a lot of mixed reactions here so I don't think it's the best idea.
I think the majority of the replies are that you would be fine since you have 2 llbs of lr per gal in the tank and the ones who do use a HOB or canister only do it so we can add filter media if we want.

Bacteria develops on all surfaces within the tank and on your bio-wheels. I really don’t think it would be an issue but I would not remove it all at once. Get down to one wheel for a couple of weeks to a month so bacteria can develop more within the tank and then remove the other wheel and only use the HOB (without the wheels) when you want to run filter media.

Have you had any no3 problems? Did the wetwebmedia FAQ help at all? (saw a couple of posts about micro bubbles) If you can’t solve the micro bubble issue (which could be harmful to your tank) and/or you have trouble keeping your no3 below 10 ppm then I’d get rid of it without hesitation.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 05-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I voted no filtration but that is saying skimmers don't count. I think you should count skimmers because they are pulling out DOCs.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have a sump. Just HOB Powerfilters by Topfin and a cheap skimmer. Then three powerheads for filtration.

I know of another person who only has powerheads and a good skimmer. No sump or wet dry. 1 lb/gallon live rock in his reef tank. Unless you are stocking heavily on fish, you may not need anything else but water movement and skimmer. If you are going to have a heavy bioload along with your reef, you will want to have filtration and things that bring down your nitrates to zero.

Good luck

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com