Components on 75gal with 20 gal sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tell me what you think about this list I made up that I am planning on ordering from Marine Depot...
Coralife Digital Thermometer
Item Code: ES00232
Usually ships the same business day

Eligible for FREE shipping on orders over $175
Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $7.99 $7.99
Captive Purity Refractometer
Item Code: CP2111

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $69.99 $69.99
48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 Lunar LEDs
Item Code: AK01037

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $329.99 $329.99
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter
Item Code: AP4111

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $44.99 $44.99
Hydor Koralia 2 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 600 gph
Item Code: HD19201

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $35.99 $71.98
Hydor Koralia 4 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 1200 gph
Item Code: HD19401

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $47.99 $47.99
Jager 250 W Heater 17 inch UL Approved
Item Code: EJ1121

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $27.99 $55.98
Vertex IN-250 Internal Pinwheel Protein Skimmer 150-250 Gallons
Item Code: VX1119

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $319.99 $319.99
Eheim Pro Wet / Dry Canister Filter 2229
Item Code: EH2229

Update Cart
Remove Item
Save Item $329.99 $329.99

I dont see any LR on the list. For proper biofiltration I would make sure of plenty of LR and a good skimmer. The canister IMO is not needed. Save that money for LR. The PH`s and heaters are needed and look good. I would also consider a RO/DI unit instead of the tap water filter. They do not get everything out as a RO/DI unit would. JMO

plans for your tank? 4x54 isn't a ton of light - if you're going reef you should rethink this.

I also agree with everything mel said.

also, get 2 heaters, little less power - so you have redundancy

What kind of light fixture would you suggest I would like something that has different lights on different timers. So I can auto shut off and turn on lights.

Well, what are your plans for your tank? FO? FOWLR? Reef? that will determine how much lighting you need. If Reef, what kind of corals do you like?

On my 72g bow, I have 2x175W MH and 2x54W T5HO.

I'd nix the the following as well: canister filter, tap water filter, heater, and the lighting. Since you planned on purchasing a tap filter, why not just purchase a solid ro/di workhorse? I prefer Spectrapure, but there are others.

This would be my list for the same price you specified:

Coralife Digital Thermometer
Item Code: Item Code: MD2101 - $7.99

Marine Floating Thermometer (great as a backup for your digital)
Item Code: HG11201 - $1.49

Marine Depot Refractometer (cheaper than Captive Purity and still a solid product)
Item Code: MD2101 - $39.99

Spectrapure Maxcap 90gpd (Spectrapure.com may have a cheaper price on shipping)
Item Code: SP1711 - $357.90

Hydor Koralia 2 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 600 gph
Item Code: HD19201 - $35.99

Hydor Koralia 4 Circulation Pump/Powerhead UL 1200 gph
Item Code: HD19401 - $47.99

Vertex IN-250 Internal Pinwheel Protein Skimmer 150-250 Gallons
Item Code: VX1119 - $319.99
*Be aware the pumps have problems reported so compare skimmers with that of Euroreef, AquaC, and Octopus plus depending on how much livestock you plan and feeding for, you may not need such a large skimmer. Personally, I would purchase a skimmer at a later date and focus on liverock and substrate.

I didn't mention lighting because it would pay off to know what you intend for the tank? There would be no point in purchasing intense lighting for that of sps if you don't plan to have sps. Taking a breeze through RC, it seems a 4x54w ATI, Icecap, or Tek fixture would suffice for soft/lps, but a 6-8x54w for sps. You could also go the aquactinics 5x54w and have a little of everything.

Also, if you have a sump are you drilling your tank or using an hob? Either way you'll need a return pump (did I miss seeing this?). Another option to think about, if you are already drilling, is making a closed-loop that would eliminate powerheads. As for heaters, Jager is no longer reliable ime (we go through a ton of these at work) so I'd get two 100w heaters by either Visitherm, Hagen, or Won Brothers.

Last edited:
Awesome info Innovator. I do have a 20 gal sump. My tank is reef ready I only plan on having LPS mainly. I am going to need a good pump for the tank. If I dont get the skimmer right away... what are the ups and downs to this. Should I get the LR and Sub before I get the filter and skimmer? I did want to put LR rubble in the sump as well. But back to lighting... Any suggestions. I really like the fact that the fixture I suggested had the internal workings of different circuits so I would be able to program on off times with different lights.

This is the light fixture I came across that has more lights at the same wattage and has lunars and separate ballasts.
48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 8x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights
Item Code: CU01123
Usually ships the next business day
Special Handling: $9.00 will be added to ground shipping cost

With 8x54w you should be able to keep virtually anything your little heart desires as far as lighting limitations are concerned. The only annoyance to me is the white lunar lights instead of the blue and not being able to purchase bulbs separately unless marinedepot allows for switching out bulbs per cost.

As per your other questions, the return pump depends on the overflow rating so what kind of overflow do you have? I do love the Quiet One line of pumps. I would rather purchase liverock and substrate, as Melosu eluded to, over a skimmer purchase if your funds are tight. The liverock will serve as your biological filtration for the time being and by the time you cycle and are ready for fish you can possibly recoup some funding for the skimmer or when necessary.

Ill keep that in mind for the skimmer and that is more than likely what Ill do. I also missed the part about the lunar lights. Are you saying that I would not be able to purchase blue bulbs for this light fixture at all or initially I would not be able to switch out the white for the blue lights.??

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Some people like white lunar lights, but imo most people find the blue lunar lights more appealing. I don't know if they can be switched out, but a good question to ask the representative. The light supposedly comes with 4 10k and 4 actinic lights, but that is considered a basic bulb setup. There are so many bulb options to choose from in t5 lighting to gain different desireable effects, but you can always play with them once the originals need replacing. Here is a link to a wonderful array of bulbs to choose from: ReefGeek > Lighting > Replacement Bulbs > T5 Fluorescent Take a look at RC's T5 Question and Answer Thread regarding T5 lighting and bulb arrangements :)

Back
Top Bottom