Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Conch hiding and flipped snail?

On Sunday I purchased a conch about 1" long and 2 snails. The conch was picked on early but after 2 days he suddenly disappeared and I don't know where. In my tank (55 gal.) there are places to hide behind rocks and under rocks, but I still don't want my tiny puffer to get the best of him. I also have a snail that has been continually knocked off the rocks by the puffer and is on his back. I try and put him on a rock and he never suctions to it. I think he is still alive because whenever I go to pick him up he hides a bit more but I don't want him to rot in my tank. Will invertabrates just not work in my tank or is there no reason to worry because I have 4 other snails that are doing just fine.Anything would help. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Don't think I am stupid (I'm a nooby) but, what is a conch?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I understand don't worry that's what we are all about here on aquarium advice. It is an invertebrate similar to a snail that has a foot taking it around the sand floor. Then it uses a somewhat "siphon" like mouth to eat various algea on the sand floor. Here is a link if you want more information.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2174
Old 05-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

EELectric,
That's a tough call and depends on the puffer. Obviously yours is gonna be one that isn't gonna let the snails alone. The conch will burrow in the sand and that may be where it's at. The other snails I would turn them over and leave them on the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgriff72
Don't think I am stupid (I'm a nooby) but, what is a conch?
It's a snail that helps turn the sandbed. There are several different types and they do well in an aquarium (queen conch is the exception due to the large size) with a sandbed to plow through.

Tags
conch, hiding, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com