conch snail???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't know much about them but the lfs has 2 about the size of a golf ball or so. Both for $5. They were a donation. I know they get big and may eat other snails. I like them but would it destroy my cuc and possibly bulldose rockscape and corals? Would it be good in a sump? Do then need sand? Any info appreciated!

yes they need sand , no they don't bother anything in my tank , but they do a good job cleaning the sand never yet seen them mess up rock work

You should get one or both. They are pretty interesting. I would say it is the best thing you could add to your tank for $5. I know that excludes almost everything in this hobby but either way I like mine.

I have one and he's a great cleaner. Keeps the sand nice and stirred up. Any frags in the sand will likely get knocked over though. Mine is very peaceful.

I have a lobo in my sand and my conch navigates around it very nicely. I saw him cleaning the stony part the other day and it didn't knock it around. It probably depends on the individual.

Got one just now for $2.50. Its a fighting conch. Here's the pics.

ForumRunner_20130408_151228.jpg

ForumRunner_20130408_151300.jpg

Very cool! Great addition, especially for $2.50. I paid $12.00 for mine.

They had 1 more too. But I think the one is big enough for my 39 gallon.

I may have to add a fighting conch to my tank when I get a bigger one. That looks cool.

Well no casualties or bulldozed rockscape and corals this morning. He's under the sand. So I guess he's good to go. Its such a big snail I might have to name him. I was thinking Tonka. LOL. Anybody ever have one of those big tonka trucks when they was a kid. They were awesome

Well no casualties or bulldozed rockscape and corals this morning. He's under the sand. So I guess he's good to go. Its such a big snail I might have to name him. I was thinking Tonka. LOL. Anybody ever have one of those big tonka trucks when they was a kid. They were awesome

I had tonka trucks... The actual metal ones lol

Hopefully I'm wrong but when I saw its foot, it made me think its not an actual conch. I have at least five different ones in my tank. A baby queen conch, a couple of tiger sand conch and a couple of Florida fighting conch. Thats just based on my observation. If you try to locate their eyes, you should be able to see their pupils. I've read somewhere that that's one unique characteristic that conch snails have. Hope these pics helps.

image-1797963084.jpg

Florida fighting conch

image-1299662915.jpg

Queen conch

image-408892235.jpg

Tiger sand conch

Back
Top Bottom