Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Nice experiment Seaham. Been always wondering about that.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I really appreciate you taking the time to do these tests seaham358.

I’ve also tested my flake (Prime Reef) and frozen (Marine Cuisine) but tested 1/4 teaspoon of flake and ¼ of a cube in one gal of water and after a couple of hours I had much lower results of 1 ppm for flake and .5 for frozen that was drained. Even that sample amount was 10+ times the amount of food I ever add per gal. ie: I feed on average 1 to 2 cubes of frozen every other day for my 55 gal tank.

I think it’s the amount of food versus water that is causing such high results.

Using small cups and adding food that covers the entire bottom is the equivalent of dumping 5+ lbs of food in a 55 gal tank and trying to measure the po4 readings you get and wondering why it’s off the chart (drained or not drained with frozen)

I think if you use a larger water sample and/or less food you would have more accurate readings and be able to distinguish between flake/frozen/drained frozen much easier. I haven’t tested the frozen drained and un-drained yet but it probably is negligible. I mostly drain for peace of mind like never adding lfs tank water to mine since I really don’t know what it might contain.

Most of us feed pretty sparingly every other day and most of the food we do feed is consumed within minutes and anything that falls to the bottom would be consumed by hermits/snails within 20 minutes.

I agree that any food we add to the tanks can/will increase po4 very slightly but with a good clean up crew/PWC schedule/skimming should still keep it undetectable.

Old 04-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I think it’s the amount of food versus water that is causing such high results.
Good point

Quote:
I haven’t tested the frozen drained and un-drained yet but it probably is negligible.
What are you waiting for We're all anxious for the results of that test too.

While you're at it how about testing a sample of blender mush too?

Thanks to both of you for testing and sharing.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
heres what im wondering can a tablespoon or so of po4 water contribute to an algae outbreak? sounds kind of hard to believe
Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
IME for tanks that have po4 accumulation is usually either the result of overfeeding flake or frozen or po4 in the PWC water. If you overfeed or use water that contains po4 you will usually have algae problems.

As long as you use po4 free tap or ro/di and feed sparingly you should never have po4 readings in your main.

Unfortunately most po4 in the tank will not be readable with test kits if you do have an algae problem due to the algae using up the available po4.

If you do get a reading then it’s probably much worse then the actual reading itself.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Thasnks for the time and effort seaham.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only used a pinch of flake food and a good chunk of mysis and brine. I think most people thaw there frozen food in a small cup with maybe a little water, not a gallon like you tested.
I know adding more water and using a larger cup would give a different results. The purpose of my test was to see if there was really PO4 in the food I used by. So now I know for a fact that all my food can create a PO4 issue if I over feed.. Which I do

And its a no brainer that dilution is the solution to pollution..

Over time if food builds up it will produce PO4 thats a fact..

And imo most people like to see the fish active and feed every day, I know I do..

I was not trying to conduct a scientific experiment here... I had to work the late shift, I was too lazy to do yard work so I said hey how can I kill a few hours... Video games of screw with the tank..
All the true scientific stuff I leave to Steve S.. That is his field of expertise..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always drain my frozen food after it is thawed. Steve who?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Most of us feed pretty sparingly every other day and most of the food we do feed is consumed within minutes and anything that falls to the bottom would be consumed by hermits/snails within 20 minutes.
Feeding sparingly and every other day must be a local thing, as around here, most that I know feed twice a day.
Although every one I know uses snails and many have hermits, I don't have either in any of my tanks, and my tanks are bare bottom.

Now, someone with time on their hands, and a little expertise and equipment, could experiment to find trace elements that get dosed with the foods we feed the tanks.
Most trace elements won't just leach out like the phosphates though, as the food would need to decay to release much of the contained elements involved, similar to the detritus release of elements in our tanks.
Because I feed often and in considerable amounts, I do water changes not to replace trace elements, but to reduce the buildup of trace elements do to feeding my tanks.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Feeding sparingly and every other day must be a local thing
No, There are members on this board from around the world. It's just good advice to help keep maintenance (PWC) to a minimum.

It's not trace elements you're removing with PWC's but excess nutrients.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com