Condy Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soto413

Aquarium Advice Regular
Yesterday I bought a Condy Anemone & I was asking questions about but the guy at my LFS really didn't tell me much about he knows everything in my tank since I have bought everything from him anyways he said it will be just fine in my tank... But after doing some research I found out it can harm my fish ... Any advice ? Should I take it back? Any advice would be a great help please & thank you ! :)

Not sure if it can harm your fish, it is more harmful to corals and other anemones tho. It is not likely to host any clowns if you have them tho so if that was your plan...

Do have a clown fish but really didn't plan on it hosting the anemone, the anemone is actually my first piece of coral in my tank I do plan on adding more but if it could harm other corals would it be a good decision to bring it back?

If it was me I would probably go for a BTA especially if its your first. I was glad to have added a nem before corals tho as it found its home and stayed there. Adding nems later can be tricky as they can roam when first introduced, stinging corals. It's a beautiful nem tho! Pics?

My condy anemone has grown from the size of a baseball to the size of a volleyball in 4 months. It is a purple tip condy, and is my clown is hosting:)

My condy anemone has grown from the size of a baseball to the size of a volleyball in 4 months. It is a purple tip condy, and is my clown is hosting:)
I have a purple tip condy too but not sure what clown should I get to host it. Mine stayed on the same spot where i put it the very first time in my tank. I have learned that anemone is a good indicator of your water parameter cause it reacts instantaneously.

Hopefully I am correct that its a condy anemone I added a picture hopefully you can tell me if I'm right or wrong

Attachments

• image-2974902112.jpg
    image-2974902112.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 123
The guy at my LfS told me it is a condy , my clarki won't go anywhere near it... Just one more question would it be a bad idea if I got another anemone one for my clarki to host?

Yesterday I bought a Condy Anemone & I was asking questions about but the guy at my LFS really didn't tell me much about he knows everything in my tank since I have bought everything from him anyways he said it will be just fine in my tank... But after doing some research I found out it can harm my fish ... Any advice ? Should I take it back? Any advice would be a great help please & thank you ! :)

Here's the thing with anemones, they make their living by eating fish :eek: So if you don't want your fish to get eaten by an anemone, you shouldn't have one in the tank. You take your chances every time you mix the two.
That being said, the Fla. Condy (Condylactus pasiflora) is not a known fish host so other than for looks, it's not really going to do much for your tank. HOWEVER, the other Atlantic Condy (A.K.A. Haitian Pink Tip) Condylactus gigantis, is a known fish hoster. Many clowns that use bubble anemones will also use these for hosting. What your pic looks like is a regular condy so the choice is yours as to whether you want to keep him or not. Traditionally, Fla Condys are found on the grass flats, in large colonies whereas the HPTs are found on the reefs not in large groups. That might help explain why they are not good reef anemonies and may hurt the corals.

Hope this helps (y)

The guy at my LfS told me it is a condy , my clarki won't go anywhere near it... Just one more question would it be a bad idea if I got another anemone one for my clarki to host?

It took a few weeks till my fish started hosting mine and u can get another nem I plan to get a rosé bubble because I have a cinnamon tomato pair also and don't want anyone killing anyone over one nem

Back
Top Bottom