Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 AM   #1

Condy Anenome

I just bought a Condy yesterday. I purchased this particular one because it was the most beautiful one in the tank at the LFS. Very healthy looking..Fully extended etc. Well, I know that under stress, they deflate and shrink up for a little while. Anyways, I brought it home, acclimated it for 45 min, placed it in the tank and about an hour and a half later, it was absolutely beautiful again. This morning, in the dark, I used my red light to check on it and it was shriveled up again and funky looking. I didn't have time to do any further investigating, as I had to go to work. I guess my question is, do they do this as a normality at night?

I am scared that I spent money unwisely and should not be into anenomes. Seems they are terrible additions to me.

I checked my water params last night just after placing it in the tank and they are good.

Ammon 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
sal 1.022
water is now crystal clear.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have seen other corals deflate at night. I suspect when you come home it to be fully extended again.

Course I dont do Anenome's so I could be blowing this out my Tail pipe so to speak.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

My condy does the similar things. It seems to be pretty active in the dark and I've seen it shrivle more in the day than the night. It eats very well and always picks spots were there isn't to much light.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine goes through this cycle regularly but always seems to be happier when I feed it directly. See what happens if you drop a 1/4 chunk of formula one into it's disc. Mine will curl around it, shrink slightly for an hour or so and then balloon open with full bright purple tenticals. I do this supplemental feeding once a week.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:04 PM   #5

OK,I got home and it was floating around. withered...I immediatley ran to the aid and I think the Seagent Major damsel is messing with it. I also think it got his butt. I picked it up and examined the foot. I believe it is ok, it was just trying to move. Obviously didn't like where I perched him. Well, I placed him right back in the same spot and it grabbed quick. about an hour later, bam back to norm. Strange though... I have heard that when they make waste, they shrivel up also. Is this true? I tried doing a search on yahoo for links to good sites about anenomes, and failed to come up with much in detail information..My yellow tail damsel is backing up to it and fanning it with its tail. By the way, Anyone want a 3 1/2 inch Seargent Major? he he...
Old 01-23-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The yellow tail is trying to acclimate itself to the anemone, damsels are anemonefish too. It is common for all anemones to close periodically, at night they have no reason to remain fully inflated...there is no light for photosynthesis. What is the lighting on your tank? What size tank? I assume you have never treated with a copperbased medication in this tank? When an anemone is digesting it's food, it will sometimes pull in it's tentacles, depending on the species of anemone, when it is releasing waste/undigested food/partially digested food (bolus), it will close.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Thats great that your damsel is trying to host your anenome. Ive never seen a damsel host a condy. Maybe you could post a pic.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
The yellow tail is trying to acclimate itself to the anemone, damsels are anemonefish too.
A friend told me this also, it hasn't done it alot, just every now and then it will back up to it and fan a little but and then leave it alone.. I guess it takes some time for it to build up immunity.

Quote:
What is the lighting on your tank?
Right now, I only have the NO Power Glo 18000K bulbs and they are the 15 watt bulbs. They are bright though. And it does open full under it. It is approx 6 to 8 inches below the light. Can't wait to get new lights. $$tight.

Quote:
What size tank?
55 Gallon

Quote:
I assume you have never treated with a copperbased medication in this tank?
None ( hope not to ever have to. KFC)

I appreciate you giving me the LD on annenomies. I think now, that it was excreting waste. I noticed this slimy looking brownish stuff flowing from the disc.

It is doing great now, All puffed up and swaying in the flow..

Tags
anenome

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com