condy care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have identified several of my hitchers from my LR and found at least 3 condylactis. One is the size of a quarter and two the size of dimes. Now that I know what they are what do I do with them? How do I feed them? What do I feed them? How often do I feed them? I am upgrading lights asap and hope that will help. I was not planning on having anenomes so soon. How do I keep the aiptasia from benefiting from any food that gets away(if thats possible). My last question is about my red leg reef hermit crabs. I read somewhere that they are not good to these anemones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

28 gal bowfront
HOT magnum
seaclone 100
50#LS from LFS
30# LR from laverocks.com
2 yellowtail damsels
6 reg leg hermit crabs
hithers from LR

I agree, verify they are condys. Not sure I have ever seen any that small.

Otherwise Condys are pretty easy to care for. Of all anenome they are one of the easiest. If you have at least 1.5-2 watts per gallon lighting I would not get any special lighting for them. unlike most anenome they tolerate lower light.

As for feeding they mostly filter feed. You can target feed something like mysis shrimp 1-2 x per week if you do not think they are getting enough.

Again verify they are condy and not aiptasia. At that size it would be easy to confuse. Pics would be helpful.

Good Luck,

I do have aptasia and these look very different in arm size and colors. My aptasia is brown and thin arms. The suspected condy's are transparent green with thick almost bubble arms. One of the small ones looked like it had some translucent purple and green on the arms last night when I checked after lights out. It also appears that all three are at least twice as big as I thought. They were just still pulled back in the crevice good until last night. My LFS does not have any saltwater fish anymore so I have to travel about 1hr to get there. My local store here only has frozen brine shrimp. Is that OK or should I skip that and wait for my next trip to the saltwater store.

I am working on the pics. Thanks for the help

I would not add brine just for the anenome. They mostly filter feed assuming you are feeding your fish well they shoud get enough until you can get some frozen mysis or even krill.

Brine has little of no nutritional value and would just add polutants to your tank. Interested to see pics when you get them.

What kind of lighting do you have now?

anemones are not stictly filter feeders, they need to be fed meaty foods at least 2 times per week. just go to the grocery store and pick up some regular cocktail shrimp (the fresher the better) and feed the anemones small pieces.

they sound interesting, cant wait to see the pics.

I agree with nodoubt471 they are not stricktly filter feeders. Cocktail shrimp cut into small pieces will work, but I prefer mysis or krill. I would not direct feed more than 1-2 times a week. If you go with the cocktail shrimp make sure the pieces are small and the anenome actually digests it. I use to use it for my larger anenome, but found that on occassion it would spit it out after a while and then you are just adding more polutants if you do not have a large clean up crew.

If you wait a few days to get food until you can get to your supplier I think you will be fine.

Good Luck,

I am making the trip to the big city tonight (x-mas shopping). I will make a stop at the LFS and take care of getting some mysis. Thanks again and please keep an eye on this thread as pics are coming and any help is appreciated especially if I made an improper ID. I took the pics just cant post them yet.

Well I made it to the store tonight and showed them some pics on my digital camera. As I thought it is definitely not aptasia. The problem is he said it could be just as bad. I think he called it majano anemone. My search on google looks close but not exact. I will post the pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom