Condylactis Gigantae, Is it friendly towards its own kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've eread many things about Condi's roaming about the tank and stinging other anenomes even after the subject was moved away several times.

My question is, Should I worry about this " aggression " with its own kind?

Cause I love the look of these condies and would love to add atleast one more to my tank, Perhaps more if thats advisable?

My LFS has dozens of Condy and I really got tempted when I was there today.

It's not really aggressive, so to speak. It will move if it wants a new location. They don't go around like "hmmm, what corals and things can I kill today?" :) Their tentacles wave with the flow, so if a current is so inclined as to blow the condy's tentacles right onto that nice new coral you got, that's what'll happen. From what I can find, it's a very powerful sting. One reference (at liveaquaria.com) says Red-Legged hermits will eat it. Don't know how true that is, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Temptation is a killer. I haven't even gotten my liverock and I'm goin' all crazy. I'm no condy expert, but I'd definitely say 2 is a max in a 29, and I'm not even sure about that. But I know, and have to remind myself constantly, patience and planning is the key to a successful sw tank. I saw little tiny carpet anemones in my lfs, I'd say maybe 6" in diameter, perhaps slightly more. They were too cool, but I still know I'm months off 'til I can get those. If I even want a carpet. I'm thinking bubble-tip. But anyways

They've got Carpets at my LFS to.

and I don't know what they were, but they were these really tiny anenomes.. like 5 or 6 of them on a rock and they sold the rock with them all attached.

Really tiny little things, no bigger then the tip of my thumb and yellow.

Cool looking things.

You can put them together. One of my better LFS has several together, and they bunch up and are very open and healthy. Mine this morning thought it would be fun to move into the power head...... even after I raised it 6" above where he was moving.

I know how you feel.

My Arrow crab decided a few days ago that the power head may just hide something fun, next thing you know hes missing his right claw.

Now both my power heads are near the surface of the water at the top of the tank, and he still makes me nervous cause its almost as if he reaches for them still.

Wacky animals, I swear.

Mine this morning thought it would be fun to move into the power head

The way I fixed this is the sponge filters you can get for the powerheads, Then they decided the filter intakes looked tasty. So now I have the powerheads blowing straight across the filter intakes. Keeps them from being able to "latch" on. :mrgreen:

Condys can definitely coexist. I have 4 in my 75g. Two usually stay close together the other two have found spots at opposite ends of the tank, which they seem to like for now.

IMO you would be good with 2 in a 29g. Be careful about adding other anenome. Most require intense lighting 3.5w per gal or more, but the condy seems to be the exception.

Also, some anenome can be aggressive toward other species of anenome. I have read that they can engage in toxic warfare releasing toxins into the tank in an effort to kill each other. I am not sure which ones you can mix. To my knowledge carpet anenome can also get very big.

Do your research. :wink:

I will try that sponge if I ever put another one im my main tank. Im not gonna get another until I get my 55 gallon fuge set up. I am going to grow out a pair of clarkiis, since my pair of perculas won't leave them alone. This way they can host the anemone and there won't be any PHs. The little clarkii I have now was just starting to enter the anemone and with my luck its all over in a second. No big deal Good luck with the new condy.

Back
Top Bottom