Conflicting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cplawrence

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been looking into converting a 29 gal from FW to SW. As this is the first time with SW, I had planned on starting FOWLR and then trying some easy corals later assuming everything works out to my liking. I done some reading on-line and a bit of lurking in these forums and I have also talked about setting this up at a couple of the LFS around here.
The first gave me the following advice:
HOB or canister filter is pointless.
Need about 4 wpg; otherwise the algae on the LR will die.
Go with about 30 lbs of LR, a couple of powerheads, and a HOB skimmer.

I was inclined to trust that this was the guy's honest opinion as he suggested that I get the skimmer and light on-line. However, the second:
Wouldn't recommend LR being only source of filtration.
Need either a HOB/canister filter OR a good skimmer (again HOB).
Could get away without the skimmer with larger and more frequent PWCs.
Stock lighting is just fine for the LR and even some corals (mushrooms, zoos, and a couple of others he mentioned).

Are these just a couple of examples of differing opinions in the hobby or is there some overall picture I am missing?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes, it is all just opinion and what you like. Myself, I prefer to use no outside filtration except for the skimmer. I have a hob skimmer, a ton of lr and several powerheads for water movement. The 4wpg I don't feel is necessary unless you are gonna do corals. I have NO lights on my FO tank and I've had no problem getting coralline to grow. Just my opinion but I wouldn't keep corals, even mushrooms, under NO lighting. There are more than one way of doing it. Many people keep successful tanks with mechanical filtration and less lr. It's all in what you want.

I would say, live rock and a skimmer are the only filtration you need. Later, you can add a refugium for more (mostly nitrate)

Kim

I would have the HOB for mechanical filteration. Also nice if you ever need to run carbon or a polyfilter. Doesn't hurt to have the extra water movement either.

quarryshark said:
I would have the HOB for mechanical filteration. Also nice if you ever need to run carbon or a polyfilter. Doesn't hurt to have the extra water movement either.

This is all I use my HOB for. Its on all the time and occasionaly I drop a bag of GAC or other specific media in there. I don't even have a skimmer :)

have been for over 3 years now. They are bennificial, but not necessary, IMO.

BillyZ said:
have been for over 3 years now. They are bennificial, but not necessary, IMO.

Do you mind explaining your SW setup, the one that isn't using a protein skimmer?

Thanks

I agree with Fluff, BillyZ and QS they all give good advice. IMO LR is the best filtration we can have, I would run no less then 1 lb per gallon. Running NO lights on a FO is fine, I have tons of coraline on my fowlr with NO lighting.
skimmers are great but not needed as long as you stay on top of the water changes.
Start out slow and keep up on your research and you will be fine. This is not a cheap hobby and if you cut corners now it will come back to bite you in the long run. If your going to go reef i would say get a skimmer and at least PC lighting. having a HOB filter or canister filter is not a bad idea. The HOB ones are cheap..

First off--I really appreciate everyone's comments so far. This has been very helpful.

As it currently is a FW tank, I do have a HOB filter on it right now. One thing I had wondered about is how bad would the salt creep be given the constant surface agitation with a HOB filter?

This is not a cheap hobby and if you cut corners now it will come back to bite you in the long run.

I understand that and I would say that I am trying to set up this tank right but without unnecessary expenses. For example, if 4 wpg was necessary for the LR, I would plan on getting it now. If not, I'll stick with NO for the time being and upgrade when I start keeping corals.

Anyways--thanks again.

One thing I had wondered about is how bad would the salt creep be given the constant surface agitation with a HOB filter?

Not too bad, atleast it's not on my HOB. Just wipe it off when you can notice it.
For example, if 4 wpg was necessary for the LR, I would plan on getting it now. If not, I'll stick with NO for the time being and upgrade when I start keeping corals.

You are fine with NO lights for now, as everyone else said. It'll also give you a chance to save up money, and shop around for good deals. You would be amazed at some of the great deals that pop up on Ebay, or even local newspapers. Even online retailers that run periodic specials.

I use a 2x 65 watt Coralife CF fixture on my 29 gallon tank to give a little over 4 WPG, that cost be $130. Then a few months afterwards found one on ebay that sold for a little under $100.

b.askew: I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll just point you to my Profile button below. my tank is described in relative detail there. Feel free to PM me with any questions or better yet, open up a new thread with any questions so others can benefit from the discussion.

Regarding the HOB and salt creep, in my tank the only places I have salt creep are places that I have air bubbles popping. The HOB is running 24/7 and I actually have no creep on or around it as long as the water level is up to the bottom of the return slope of the HOB. If the water level drops below that the watter falling splashes and will creat some creep. I also have a closed loop return that is a little short and so is always making a few bubbles, that's where I have most of my salt creep.

Back
Top Bottom