confused :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quick question, is this a unit from filterdirect.com off Ebay?

Could be the just your water source it self, is your city water from a well? If so you might need to get a booster pump to force the water through the membrane. It is like our water we get ours from a private water company and it is from a well, and our TDS from just the tap is 206 x 10, then from the R/O DI system it is 82. Hope this helps.

thanks for the pic. im goin to give it a try, i was abel to tilt it a bit so the water is going through the stuff in there. the origanal color is a yellowish/oranage color.. ive never seen it get dark like yours. im running it for awhile, and i will see if it makes a difference. thanks to your pic, im also goin to mount it to the wall, then maybe i can cover it, its such an eyesore on the counter! hopefully htis works. i really need to do some water changes!

our water is city water. the unit is not from filter direct, altho, if i cant get this one running properly, i will be goin there at tax time....

My DI resin is a dark green when new and turns a burnt orange color when it needs replacing. Is yours the refillable type ? Also remember to discard the first five gallon or so of water when changing filters... other than that all I can do is
SassyAngel111 said:
If so you might need to get a booster pump to force the water through the membrane.
Im sure the recommended pressure is 80 to 100 psi thru the membrane. I was lucky,my pressure is about 125 coming in the house, I actually have a valve on the main line to reduce pressure.
HTH, keep us posted.

i have no idea what the pressure is comin through here. its an apt. ive tested the water again after makin th echange, and its gone down, but not enough. its at 320 now. ive also tested the tap again, and its around 315, so its not really doing anything..... will the booster thing help, or do you think its the unit itself?

vsnsofadrgn said:
i have no idea what the pressure is comin through here. its an apt. ive tested the water again after makin th echange, and its gone down, but not enough. its at 320 now. ive also tested the tap again, and its around 315, so its not really doing anything..... will the booster thing help, or do you think its the unit itself?

Im not understanding how the water coming out could be higher TDS than whats going in. ( is the meter 0'd)anywho,yes ,If you dont have the proper psi going to the membrane it will not scrub the water effectively. how old is this unit and the DI resin? The unit I have is about 5 or 6 months old and I change 20 gallon weekly plus I have another 20 gallon of topoff water made so each week almost 40 gallon for the tank plus this unit came with a water facet and holding tank for drinking water that gets used daily for coffee,ice or whatever... If my assumption is close, I have made about 1400 gallon of RO/DI water and my TDS is still 0, What helps is my incoming TDS is low (100tds).
If you are leaning for a new unit I would buy the same one again plus their customer service is outstanding,My unit arrived with a crack housing and they had another one at my door in two days.

You have a choice to make,eighter a pump which is a few bucks or a new RO/DI unit which is a few bucks more and you may still need the pump on top of that new unit because its doing the same thing.
Another question you said you have changed the filters,Have you changed the membrane lately? with a TDS that high it may wear out very quick.

EDIT:
One thing I can suggest is you get one of these

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...&Product_Code=SP-PRGAUGE&Category_Code=SProac

That way you know for sure if you have to buy a booster pump. this is the route I went when I was having trouble before I put the di chamber on end...

im not understanding how the water coming out is worse either, it doesnt make any sense. i just changed all the filters last week, and i let it runfor about an hour before i use any of the water. the unit itself is less than a year, got it march of last year, didnt even get it hooked up until maym, then i didnt like it under the sink becuase of the loss of water pressure, so it really hasnt been running all that long. i dont use it for anything but water changes, so the filters should def last a long time. do you mean the ro membrane? i assume it hasnt been changed, i only get 5 filters and its a 6 stage unit. i did find it through the ebayer and it hasnt been changed. thanks for all your help reefbound, :)

thanks for the link, i will get one of those next week and i guess a new ro membrane, as im broke this week. hopefully it will help. im glad ive found the problem of my water too, i was drivin myself nuts not being able to find the sourse of the algae!

no i havent tried that, i will try when i get home from work. ill have to check and see which one that is too! lol...

The DI chamber is on top in the pic. It is the clear one. It looks like the water comes out of it and goes into the filter below it. That should be a carbon stage. A lot of units use a carbon stage after the DI stage to make the water taste better. You don't need this for the fish. Should not be causing what you are seeing though.

maybe take you membrane out and make sure it is seated correctly in the housing. Again, should not be an issue but ...

i will give it a try... i dont know whats causing it. i assume i need the ro membrane or something to boost the pressure. going to be checkin into that next week. thanks for the reply.

so i got the pressure gauge, but it didnt come with instructions. where does it go? how do install it?

What kind of gauge? Is it an inline gauge to be used on the RO water lines? Does it have guest fittings? I used one once but it had a screw fitting like a garden hose. I just stuck it on the hose nearest the water main and checked pressure there. Not as accurate but it worked. Told me I need a booster pump ...

Do you get a fast stream of water from the discharge? If you do the unit is hooked up wrong. I can't really tell where your inlet water is coming from but your tubes don't look anything like mine. granted mine is a five stage but it should be the same. I will try and get a pic.

the gauge is the one in the link above from premium aquatics. i guess i should go there and see if the have instructions. i have no idea how to put this thing on, or where its supposed to go. came with all kinds of peices.

angel, the water goin in is coming from the faucet (with a faucet adapter) and is the red line. so far, it looks like its hooked up right; i just need a booster pump.... hopefully i can get this gauge on to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom