Confused about skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
What exactly does a skimmer do and how does it work? I bought one by recommendation of my lfs and up until a few days ago it just seemed to be a hob filter, then I noticed the center foaming a small amount so I cranked up the air flow and I've got foaming bubbles 8O comming out of the center like mad. First is it supposed to do this? second, why did it take so long to start? Third if it is supposed to be doing this and everything is working normally then do I have the only skilter 250 that works :? :? . TIA

Skimmers are great piece to add in your saltwater tank since it eliminate all protien build up in your tank. the more you you learn in the salt water hobby, the more you figure that a skimmer is necessary for long term health of your fish. I never heard of anyone using a skimmer in their freshwater tanks.

Yes it is supposed to make bubbles like that but if it is filling up the collection cup within say minutes you should reduce the air flow so it has to work a bit harder to get the bubbles into the cup....the reason it took so long is because if there is nothing for it to take out of the water it wont LOL so if you got it when the tank was just set up it just didnt have anything to take out of the water.....

also remember if you added chemicals lately like stress coat etc, they will increase surface tension and just make a lot of bubbles in your skimmer. There was a similar post a few days ago with the same problem.

No chems. I was told not to use stree coat on sw fish. Thanks for the help, sounds like it's doing it's job. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom