Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna do mostly dry rock to start and maybe a piece or 2 of live rock.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just my personal preference, I would rather get a nice chunk of coralline covered live rock to seed the tank then rely on a couple snails and hermits to seed a whole tank. + I like the majority of hitchhikers I've had come in on live rock. Vermetid snails and hydroids are the worst thing I've delt with. All the crabs/ shrimp or things that won't spread can go in the refugium and the rest can be fixed with a dip or just plucking them out. I think it's pretty neat seeing what goes on after lights out in a tank with live rock over dead rock even if there's a little more work involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another thing, how can I start a cycle? Everyone says use a cocktail shrimp but I can't. Is there any other things I can use, like a few shrimp pellets?
Old 08-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can use anything that decomps...I say to avoid flake and pellet food as it will swamp your system with phosphates. This of course is why I say an uncooked shrimp normally. If this isn't something available to you you can simply use pure ammonia to dose the tank up to 2 ppm to start the cycle. As you test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels you will know to dose back up to 2 ppm until all ammonia and nitrite are consumed in a 24 hour period to know you can safely add livestock to your tank.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
You can use anything that decomps...I say to avoid flake and pellet food as it will swamp your system with phosphates. This of course is why I say an uncooked shrimp normally. If this isn't something available to you you can simply use pure ammonia to dose the tank up to 2 ppm to start the cycle. As you test the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels you will know to dose back up to 2 ppm until all ammonia and nitrite are consumed in a 24 hour period to know you can safely add livestock to your tank.
+1 the shrimp is suggested because it's easy. Pure ammonia works just as well as the shrimp. Most people get theirs at Ace Hardware.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I believe the 'test' to see if it's pure is to shake it to see if it bubbles? I really don't recall atm.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I believe the 'test' to see if it's pure is to shake it to see if it bubbles? I really don't recall atm.
Yeppers. I've never personally seen it with surfactants in it, but some have. If all else fails you can find it online easily enough.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #18
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

you can wrap it in wet news paper or put in 5g buckets with sw , you prob would need a few
buckets.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So I dose the ammonia back up to 2ppm every day until the nitrites and ammonia are at 0 and the nitrates are at a safe level?

And then once all nitrites and ammonia are gone I can add some hardy inverts such as hermits and snails?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You don't have to do it daily...but once you get to the point you dose to 2ppm and the ammonia and nitrites are gone in a 24 hour period you are ready to do large water changes to get your nitrates down to 0 and add fish.

Closed Thread

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com