Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now I need help with water changes. If I took out 10% weekly (this is a 20 gallon tank), how do I know what salinity to put the new water at? Because in a small container for mixing the new water, wouldn't the salt be less in the tank?

Do I put the new water at the same salinity as the tank water?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

You just match it to the new water. The water you take out won't change the salinity in your tank. If your changing evaporated water you just add fresh water because the salt doesn't evaporate. Thank god to because if it did every time it rained there would be salt everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan p View Post
You just match it to the new water. The water you take out won't change the salinity in your tank. If your changing evaporated water you just add fresh water because the salt doesn't evaporate. Thank god to because if it did every time it rained there would be salt everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ok thanks that makes sense
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You should invest in a refractometer and not rely on a swing arm hydrometer. This is the only way to be sure you are adding the correct SG water back to your tank.
BTW, if you plan to add hermits and snails to your tank just after the cycle, make sure you put food in the tank for them. Don't expect that there will suddenly be enough food in the tank to sustain them.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You should invest in a refractometer and not rely on a swing arm hydrometer. This is the only way to be sure you are adding the correct SG water back to your tank.
BTW, if you plan to add hermits and snails to your tank just after the cycle, make sure you put food in the tank for them. Don't expect that there will suddenly be enough food in the tank to sustain them.
A reef keeper can make a choice to set his tank salinity between 1.024 to 1.026. If one uses a swing arm hydrometer and he reads the salinity of the tank exactly the same as that of the salt water to be added would that really matter as far as accuracy is concerned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
A reef keeper can make a choice to set his tank salinity between 1.024 to 1.026. If one uses a swing arm hydrometer and he reads the salinity of the tank exactly the same as that of the salt water to be added would that really matter as far as accuracy is concerned?
The only problem is that swing arm hydrometers are notorious for giving different reading taken from the same water. I know mine did that exact thing. For some people it's accurate enough, but I like to know for sure.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

FAQ's Regarding Live Rock

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
Old 08-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The only problem is that swing arm hydrometers are notorious for giving different reading taken from the same water. I know mine did that exact thing. For some people it's accurate enough, but I like to know for sure.
Let's assume one doesn't know how to use a salinity tester regardless if it's a notorious one or accurate one and the salinity of new salt water has a difference of 0.001 with the tank (which is by the way a worse case), what do you think is the effect when you replace 10% of it?
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Let's assume one doesn't know how to use a salinity tester regardless if it's a notorious one or accurate one and the salinity of new salt water has a difference of 0.001 with the tank (which is by the way a worse case), what do you think is the effect when you replace 10% of it?
My instant ocean hydrometer had a .003 difference when readings were taken less than a minute apart. Assuming a 10% water change, I wouldn't really worry about a .003 difference. However, if I am drip acclimating inverts a .003 difference can and probably will kill them. Hence, why I chucked my hydrometer and bought a refractometer for less than the price of a shrimp.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
My instant ocean hydrometer had a .003 difference when readings were taken less than a minute apart. Assuming a 10% water change, I wouldn't really worry about a .003 difference. However, if I am drip acclimating inverts a .003 difference can and probably will kill them. Hence, why I chucked my hydrometer and bought a refractometer for less than the price of a shrimp.
Refractometer needs to be calibrated so often and it will also give you false reading at the wrong temperature. I never have a problem with swing hydrometer. In fact I switched from refractometer to swing. The trick is to swing it several times until it stabilizes and settles down.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com