Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 778
Now I need help with water changes. If I took out 10% weekly (this is a 20 gallon tank), how do I know what salinity to put the new water at? Because in a small container for mixing the new water, wouldn't the salt be less in the tank?

Do I put the new water at the same salinity as the tank water?
__________________

__________________
Pseudomugil is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
dylan p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 347
You just match it to the new water. The water you take out won't change the salinity in your tank. If your changing evaporated water you just add fresh water because the salt doesn't evaporate. Thank god to because if it did every time it rained there would be salt everywhere


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
dylan p is offline  
Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan p View Post
You just match it to the new water. The water you take out won't change the salinity in your tank. If your changing evaporated water you just add fresh water because the salt doesn't evaporate. Thank god to because if it did every time it rained there would be salt everywhere


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ok thanks that makes sense
__________________
Pseudomugil is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You should invest in a refractometer and not rely on a swing arm hydrometer. This is the only way to be sure you are adding the correct SG water back to your tank.
BTW, if you plan to add hermits and snails to your tank just after the cycle, make sure you put food in the tank for them. Don't expect that there will suddenly be enough food in the tank to sustain them.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
You should invest in a refractometer and not rely on a swing arm hydrometer. This is the only way to be sure you are adding the correct SG water back to your tank.
BTW, if you plan to add hermits and snails to your tank just after the cycle, make sure you put food in the tank for them. Don't expect that there will suddenly be enough food in the tank to sustain them.
A reef keeper can make a choice to set his tank salinity between 1.024 to 1.026. If one uses a swing arm hydrometer and he reads the salinity of the tank exactly the same as that of the salt water to be added would that really matter as far as accuracy is concerned?
__________________
"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
A reef keeper can make a choice to set his tank salinity between 1.024 to 1.026. If one uses a swing arm hydrometer and he reads the salinity of the tank exactly the same as that of the salt water to be added would that really matter as far as accuracy is concerned?
The only problem is that swing arm hydrometers are notorious for giving different reading taken from the same water. I know mine did that exact thing. For some people it's accurate enough, but I like to know for sure.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
FAQ's Regarding Live Rock
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The only problem is that swing arm hydrometers are notorious for giving different reading taken from the same water. I know mine did that exact thing. For some people it's accurate enough, but I like to know for sure.
Let's assume one doesn't know how to use a salinity tester regardless if it's a notorious one or accurate one and the salinity of new salt water has a difference of 0.001 with the tank (which is by the way a worse case), what do you think is the effect when you replace 10% of it?
__________________
jeffaquarius is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Let's assume one doesn't know how to use a salinity tester regardless if it's a notorious one or accurate one and the salinity of new salt water has a difference of 0.001 with the tank (which is by the way a worse case), what do you think is the effect when you replace 10% of it?
My instant ocean hydrometer had a .003 difference when readings were taken less than a minute apart. Assuming a 10% water change, I wouldn't really worry about a .003 difference. However, if I am drip acclimating inverts a .003 difference can and probably will kill them. Hence, why I chucked my hydrometer and bought a refractometer for less than the price of a shrimp.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline  
Old 08-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jeffaquarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
My instant ocean hydrometer had a .003 difference when readings were taken less than a minute apart. Assuming a 10% water change, I wouldn't really worry about a .003 difference. However, if I am drip acclimating inverts a .003 difference can and probably will kill them. Hence, why I chucked my hydrometer and bought a refractometer for less than the price of a shrimp.
Refractometer needs to be calibrated so often and it will also give you false reading at the wrong temperature. I never have a problem with swing hydrometer. In fact I switched from refractometer to swing. The trick is to swing it several times until it stabilizes and settles down.
__________________

__________________
jeffaquarius is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raising or collecting Live Rock Live Coral Live Fish? ted Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 01-16-2013 11:18 PM
Confused about my live rock Saltymex Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 6 03-07-2012 08:37 PM
Totally Confused! will the dry rock eventually become live rock Jennybo Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 03-25-2010 09:01 PM
Dead rock - Live rock - Cured rock - Uncured rock Charlie Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 07-08-2006 08:44 AM
confused on lighting for live rock natman2 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 08-03-2005 09:06 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.