I am looking to move toward a reef aquarium from my existing set-up. For Water Movement and Filtration I have the following, in a 46 gallon bow front tank:
- 2213 Eheim Canister Filter (116 gph
) -> Return Spray Bar in middle of tank, near the top for surface movement.
- CPR Bak Pak 2 Protein Skimmer (Rio 600 RVT Powerhead) -> Minimal return flow created at the surface.
- 2 Maxijet 600 Powerheads (160 gph
x2) -> These are placed on the back wall about mid-tank blowing toward the front (not directly at anything)
- 20lbs Fiji Rock, 20 lbs Gulf/Keys Rock
I have the following questions:
- Do I need the Canister Filter for Bio Filtration, with the LR
? Or should I employ a different set-up with a sump...?
- Do I have enough turnover (I don't think so...around 10x), how much turnover I am realistically getting from the filter and the skimmer?
- Am I utilizing my powerheads correctly with their placement?
- Should I be moving the surface more? There is small section that is oily where the filter and the skimmer aren't flowing...
Thank you very much for any input...