Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Confusion about Water Movement and Filtration...

I am looking to move toward a reef aquarium from my existing set-up. For Water Movement and Filtration I have the following, in a 46 gallon bow front tank:

- 2213 Eheim Canister Filter (116 gph) -> Return Spray Bar in middle of tank, near the top for surface movement.

- CPR Bak Pak 2 Protein Skimmer (Rio 600 RVT Powerhead) -> Minimal return flow created at the surface.

- 2 Maxijet 600 Powerheads (160 gph x2) -> These are placed on the back wall about mid-tank blowing toward the front (not directly at anything)

- 20lbs Fiji Rock, 20 lbs Gulf/Keys Rock

I have the following questions:

- Do I need the Canister Filter for Bio Filtration, with the LR? Or should I employ a different set-up with a sump...?

- Do I have enough turnover (I don't think so...around 10x), how much turnover I am realistically getting from the filter and the skimmer?

- Am I utilizing my powerheads correctly with their placement?

- Should I be moving the surface more? There is small section that is oily where the filter and the skimmer aren't flowing...

Thank you very much for any input...

chrislmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
the live rock should be able to take care of the bioload with as much as you have just depends on what is already in the tank and what you want to add, and your feeding habits.
the spray bar is good wished i had one and the power head are good it will just depend on the coral they all like different water flows, so you will have to adjust them accordiling.

flame82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I think you need more circulation. I would shoot for at least another 300 GPH. I would stay away from the bio filter and buy more rock.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for your help!

Any of the moderators have some advice?
chrislmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I'm turning close to 20gpa in my 37 gal. You should upgrade the powerheads and get 2 900s or 1200s would be even better.
37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I agree with more live rock (1.5-2lb/gal total) and the canister can be backup for chemical media like carbon when needed.
how much more flow you need depends a little bit on the inhbitants..
what types of reef inhabitants are you intrested in keeping?
SPS, LPS, Soft corals, clams, and or anems?
lighting will be one of your next considerations.. Im assuming.

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote

filtration, movement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com