Consensus on Tall tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpikeAZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife hates the size of our 120, and so I was looking for a smaller tank, perhaps a 75.

I saw a real good deal on a 70 combo with an overflow, but it was a tall version.

I plan on doing a FOWLR with maybe a few shrooms, leathers and similar. I have MH lighting but it is waaaaay too much light (blows our circuit breaker), so I will likely be downgrading to VHOs (also this canopy is much shorter than the tall 120g canopy, so MH lighting won't really work.)

Is the tall not good enough? Should I plop down the extra 100 for a normal tank?

Thanks.

Tall tanks do present a problem. Light penetration being one of them. They also have a dereased surface area and do not allow for as good of gas exchange. This can lead to Ph problems. Also, most fish prefer horizontal swimming space. This is hamppered in a "tall" tank. A standard 75gal would get my vote.

My first salttank was a 150 gallon cube. It was quite difficult to light. I had VHO bulbs across the top and the things on the bottom half of the tank never got enough light. The tank was 31 inches tall.

Thanks, I ended up with a standard 75g. Now to build the canopy (they wanted $800 for a nice one, screw that I'll build it myself) and somehow figure out how to do a trashcan sump.

Back
Top Bottom