considering a flame angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 150 tank that I keep a few bubble tip anemones, a feather duster, assorted mushrooms, and a few other soft corals. I also keep a maroon clown, a chromis, a manderine gobi, a couple of pj cardinals, and a couple of clown gobies. Would it be safe to add a flame angel to this tank? thank you for your time.

Some Flames are pickers and some aren't... I have seen stories of coral nipping, and some of no problems at all... Someone else may want to respond here, that owns a Flame in a reef setup...

These truly are beautful fish. Take a look if you have not already at the flame profile in the profile forum for saltwater. As Timbo said it might or might not take a liking to your corals. Some are also hard to get to eat properly. If at all possible make sure yours is not cyinide caught.

I will not be cyanide caught if you get a hawian flame. A little more exspesive but worth it!

also a good choice are red sea flames. if your flame angle does eat something it will be your feather duster, the ones that aren't fed frequently frequently eat them and also if you plan on getting clams, thier also one of the most likely eaten. if you do get a flame make sure it is well fed. IMO i wouldn't get it, i mean how do you plan on catching it eats corals in reef tank with live rock structure.

I have had one for a few days and he seems real cool.. He nips at stuff on the glass havent' quite been able to figure out if it's algea or the Corapods he's eating but my only complaint is he is not really out and about.. That being said mine is not nearly the deep like red that I see on websites where his stripes are he is T I dubble G er orange... So the color is not as deep but he seems to shy to really mess with anything..Check my gallery to see what I mean.

I know it's not alot of info but It's all I have for now.. If you want PM me in a week or so and I will let you know how she progresses....

Doan

My flame angle is constantly on the go. In fact I've never heard of anybody having one that is shy. I don't have corals in with mine, but I have heard that it is only a matter of time before all flames will nip at a coral. It all depends on wether you are willing to take your chances with it or not. It's a very fun fish to have in the tank. Do you have something you could do with him if he didn't work out? Best of luck if you do get one, but if I had corals in my tank, and lots of cool inverts I would probably stay away. Just my personal opinion though.

I've had my flame angel for about 6 months now and never had a problem with him nipping my corals. Mine is shy as well, but is constantly patrolling the through the reef coming out once in a while to say hi! Adds great color to the tank!!

Greg

They will color up real nice if there food is supplemented with an additive such as Selcon.
Most marine fish will fade a little in color if not fed a varied nutritious diet.

I have a flame and love it. Just be sure you do not keep it in a tank with other pygmy angels of similar body shape like a Coral Beauty.

Back
Top Bottom