Considering a saltwater over tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcran4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I'm considering starting a salt water tank for the first time. I have only a 20 gal high and realize that i will be limited to the amount of fish and coral/ rock I can have. But all saltwater colors that are offered and variety that is there is really attractive to me! All that being said what can I expect transitioning from a tropical tank to a saltwater tank? Any tips or common mistakes that are made will be a help! Also what will be my limits with a 20 gal?

Firstly, great choice I recently did the same thing but I brought a kitted out reef nano!! My best advice I can give is that you have got to be patient! Don't rush into anything!! You are limited on fish but corals & inverts are ok. Take time letting the tank cycle & don't be afraid to ask people on here as that's the purpose of this site! Ask more than one person the same question as not always the first answer is the right one!! Research as much as possible!! If I'd have known reefkeeping was this simple I'd have done it many years ago. Strict water changes essential, testing water and all that goes with it is a must!! Good luck

IMO anything under 30 gallons is too small for a first SW tank. It's not that it can't be done but when things go wrong it happens faster in a smaller system. Also I would consider a 20 tall to be more like a 15 gallon for your gas exchange. Here's a link I use when I want to research a new fish, they have a section just for nano systems. Nano Fish
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom