Considering a Sump for 55g tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I am considering getting a sump for my 55g tank. After just getting the Coralife Super Skimmer, I am no longer able to put my glass tops on the tank, or the Canopy, so that makes my only real choice to get a sump...

I know you can put the heater, and the skimmer in the sump, Can you put the Intake from the canister filter as well, or should that stay in the main tank?

What size sump should I get for a 55g tank?

Any information anyone has about sumps would be helpfull..

Thanks,

-TheChad

there isn't really a minimum or maximum for a sump/refugium size. Obviously you're adding more water volume to your system and the more water volume you have the more stable your system will be. So, IMO, I would go for as big a sump as you can reasonably afford and fit in the space you have. The only piece of equipment the size of the sump might affect is the heater. You might need to add another heater or get one with a few more watts.

As a side note, any particular reason you're wanting to put the glass canopies on your tank? You water stayes oxygenated through a gas exchange at the surface of the water. Glass canopies can inhibit this exchange and give you troubles with your Ph.

I was thinking a 10g tank would be good for a sump because that's just shy of 20% of the 55 Gallons.

I keep glass canopies because it slows down the evaporation, it prevents fish from jumping out, it stops salt from building up on my lighting, and it stops evaporated water from getting all over the wood canopy.... But I do take the little flaps on the back of the glass off so that leaves the back about 4" un covered..

-TheChad

Depending on how your stand is setup and if there is a middle bracket you may be able to fit a 20 gal long in the stand. Take exact measurements of the inside to determine the size. A 10 gal would work but you can’t fill it up all the way and would be looking at about 6-7 gal to allow for power outages and drain back from the tank. Plus since you have the CSS it would be a tight fit trying to get it in a 10 gal tank along with the return pump.

My stand is custom built and a little larger then most 55 gal stands and I was able to squeeze a 20 gal long to use for the sump and even a 10 gal acrylic tank above and to the right to use as a refugium.

Unfortunately as you did I had to add it after I already started my tank and after removing the base/lr and draining the tank 70% (small fish load at the time but still was just close to 200 lbs) was able to move it with 3 other guys and get the sump/refugium in below :D

My Stand is a Sedona stand by Marine Land, Its open back, so I shouldn't have to move anything.

-TheChad

Very nice stand :D I think the interior is large enough to house a 20 long, do you know if it’s 13” inside as well?
pic3sedona1jh.jpg

tecwzrd said:
Very nice stand :D I think the interior is large enough to house a 20 long, do you know if it’s 13” inside as well?
pic3sedona1jh.jpg

Actually it's only 11.5" inside...

-TheChad

I see why you wanted to use a 10 gal now :( 10" wide for a 10 gal. There are more expensive sumps that are also 10" wide like the Tidepool I & II but you still would have trouble using skimmer and pump due to the media trays.

What kind of money were you planning on spending for this sump? Have you considered DIY?

I don't know how much they cost. I just want to be able to put the heater and the skimmer in the sump. That's what I Know, other than that I am open, I don't have anything spiffic in mind.

I'd like not to spend too much money, but again I don't have any speciffic price set...

-TheChad

The problem of the sump not fitting inside the bottom of the stand is exactly why I build my own stand. I have a 55 reef ready and am using a 30 long for my sump. I figure that will give me about a total volume of 75 gallons. The stand still needs doors and I need to make a hood.

Why not check out www.melevesreef.com for info on making your own sump, custom fit for your stand.

Good Luck,
Brian

Brian

Back
Top Bottom