Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
considering clowns

i have been thinking about getting clown fish for a short while now and i thought i may get some feedback from some other people before i ran out and picked them up. The main thing i am looking for is a pair of fairly hardy clown fish and if they breed than that is fine as well. Wondering what people thought were the best breed and also curious that clown fish will actually switch genders according to dominance and i was wondering if that was true.

Mikey K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I like yellow stripe maroons, personally....If you introduce them at the same time they should be fine. One will become the female and the other the dominant male...In nature there are generally a few males, only one being the dominant male, if he or the female die, the next one in sucession becomes either the female or dominant male and so on....

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
marrons are nice but the ones at my lfs are looking rough, and i wont have the time to travel to the nicer fish store for a while.that is pretty cool about the hermaphrodite quality of the fish. What are the chances of them having eggs?
Mikey K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`m kind of partial to the maroon Gold stripe myself. It might be worth the wait if he`ll order for you.
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I like the black percs but they are not the hardiest. Tank raised false percs are probably the easiest.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
I had every intention of getting tank raised clowns when I went to the LFS. But when I saw the True Percs, I could not resist. Their color is so much better. They are a little more aggressive, but mine get along fine.
150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
We have two clarkis in our 75 and they are awesome. They even sleep in the star polyps atnight, since they dont have an anemone to cuddle with. They actually,willburrowinto the polyps and lie on their sides. The firsttimeI saw it, I thought they were in trouble.
Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
My false (or true im not even sure) percs. are awesome. They swim toward me whenever they see me. Even if they are sleeping, if they see me coming(somehow, probly cuz of the moonlight), they would swim slowly to me. Whenever i look down at the tank from the top, they would peek their heads about 1/4 of an in. out of the water surface lol. And if i put my hand in the tank to arrange something, they would nip my hand! I was scared/suprised the first few time they did that. I thought some kind of crab tried to attack me (mantis shrimps sound scary XD). Amazingly friendly fishes
I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it be a good idea to have 2 percula clowns and a black percula in the same tank?
Liquid_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Depends on the tank size. Anything under a 150 gal with plenty of tank length (6ft+) would be risky. In smaller tanks you will be risking constant aggression and possible death of at least one pair.

clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com