considering clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey K

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have been thinking about getting clown fish for a short while now and i thought i may get some feedback from some other people before i ran out and picked them up. The main thing i am looking for is a pair of fairly hardy clown fish and if they breed than that is fine as well. Wondering what people thought were the best breed and also curious that clown fish will actually switch genders according to dominance and i was wondering if that was true.

I like yellow stripe maroons, personally....If you introduce them at the same time they should be fine. One will become the female and the other the dominant male...In nature there are generally a few males, only one being the dominant male, if he or the female die, the next one in sucession becomes either the female or dominant male and so on....

marrons are nice but the ones at my lfs are looking rough, and i wont have the time to travel to the nicer fish store for a while.that is pretty cool about the hermaphrodite quality of the fish. What are the chances of them having eggs?

I`m kind of partial to the maroon Gold stripe myself. It might be worth the wait if he`ll order for you.

I like the black percs but they are not the hardiest. Tank raised false percs are probably the easiest.

I had every intention of getting tank raised clowns when I went to the LFS. But when I saw the True Percs, I could not resist. Their color is so much better. They are a little more aggressive, but mine get along fine.

We have two clarkis in our 75 and they are awesome. They even sleep in the star polyps atnight, since they dont have an anemone to cuddle with. They actually,willburrowinto the polyps and lie on their sides. The firsttimeI saw it, I thought they were in trouble.

My false (or true im not even sure) percs. are awesome. They swim toward me whenever they see me. Even if they are sleeping, if they see me coming(somehow, probly cuz of the moonlight), they would swim slowly to me. Whenever i look down at the tank from the top, they would peek their heads about 1/4 of an in. out of the water surface lol. And if i put my hand in the tank to arrange something, they would nip my hand! I was scared/suprised the first few time they did that. I thought some kind of crab tried to attack me (mantis shrimps sound scary XD). Amazingly friendly fishes :D

Would it be a good idea to have 2 percula clowns and a black percula in the same tank?

Depends on the tank size. Anything under a 150 gal with plenty of tank length (6ft+) would be risky. In smaller tanks you will be risking constant aggression and possible death of at least one pair.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom