Considering getting a crocea clam Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering getting a crocea clam. Any advise? Should I get something different. I know they need lots of light. TIA

There is a big difference between clams +/- 3". If you get one under 3" they are not self sufficient with light alone. It is recommended that you pull it from the tank for daily feedings of plankton or they are prone to dying. Anything over 3" will be able to self sustain with light and food particles from the water column.

Do you have a Ca reactor setup? They push the demands of Calcium a little further than most corals.

The one I was looking at at LFS is around 5". I do not have a CA reactor but check my ca regularly. Stays around 420-450ppm

I have 2. One of them was in my moms 24gal nano cube, it wasn't doing so well so I dropped it into my tank and the colors came back in a few days. They look beautiful. Just make sure to watch for loss of color. I feed my tank marine snow everyother day and use purple up to dose my calcium.

You should be fine with a crocea under MH light. Rememebr that they are rock dwellers so they need a flat on the rockwork to attach to. Make sure it allow for ample room for the clam to open up fully.

Scott I have never really considered clams at all. I saw this one at the lfs and decided to see what the experts at AA had to say before I actually purchased it.

I love mine. He is on a flat piece of rock so I can move him if needed. I want another but need more space ...

In addition to what was already stated, once they attach their byssal threads you can't move them. You have to move the rock they are attached to. One way to avoid this is by placing the Crocea on a half shell from another clam so it can attach to it instead. Keep in mind they are the MOST light demanding clams. They can handle and will thrive in very intense lighting. Also they have a very hard time evacuating sand from their gills, even when compared to other giant calms so be careful.

That is why mine is on a flat piece of rock. I just pick up the rock to move him. I guess I did not make that clear.

Back
Top Bottom