Considering Halide, want some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, I currently have a 48" CSL Moon hood and a 48" Coralife Aqualight hood on my 105G tank. I have plenty of light for my reef, however I am getting MTS pretty bad and the bulkiness of two 48" hoods up there is a pain. I am thinking about a 55G tank to put them on and get myself some halide. My question is what wattage to get. I am considering dual 175, 250, or 400W. I am not interested in overkill, just what I need to have a full option 26" deep reef. Also if possible I want a hood that can sit on the top of the tank like my PC's do rather than something suspended. I am considering the following model if it helps with the later question regarding how to sit it. http://www.captivereefs.com/images/feature/LT-HM48-175-2.jpg

Thanks as always!

That hood should work. I didn't see any actinics in there though. Do you plan to use actinics? Or just go with 20k MH bulbs? 175's really aren't an option for a tank that deep. You'd need 250's minimum. If you want to be able to keep anything you want without being limited to where it goes in the tank, I'd probably go with 400's. With the 250's, you may find some corals/inverts would have to be placed higher up in the tank to get enough light. JMHO.

That hood should work. I didn't see any actinics in there though. Do you plan to use actinics? Or just go with 20k MH bulbs? 175's really aren't an option for a tank that deep. You'd need 250's minimum. If you want to be able to keep anything you want without being limited to where it goes in the tank, I'd probably go with 400's. With the 250's, you may find some corals/inverts would have to be placed higher up in the tank to get enough light. JMHO.

There is 2-96 watt true 03 actinics in that particular hood. They are hard to see in the photo but they are there. The hood is designed to sit directly on the top of the tank. I include an extra 4" fan at no charge to help dissipate the heat better.

I think i would also step up to 250 watt bulbs. Check out item LT-HM48-250-2-96 it is on sale for and has 2-250 bulbs and 2-96 watt actinics. I can also have I-hooks installed at no extra chare if you want to hang it from the ceiling.

Okay well then one last question. Will 250's give me more versatility as far as lower light corals twords the max depth of 26" over the 400s? I keep flouresent shrooms and ricordea, however I don't really have them under anything as the PC light although a large wattage is not overpowering for direct contact at that depth? I hope this question makes sense. I just want to know as much as I can before I take the next step in lighting. Thanks

I keep flouresent shrooms and ricordea,
Well the shrooms can always be shaded by LR and Such.. Now Ricordia on the other hand is a HIGH light coral and needs to be in high light low flow.. I have 2x250w on my tank and I have always found places to put the lower light stuff... I would go with the 400's personally because I think about possible upgrades and being able to move the lights to a bigger tank... Either the 250's or 400's will work good but 400's would be the best IMO..

James

Unless you are going dedicated SPS and clams I think that the 250's offer the best all around choice. Not to much for some lower light animals and more than enough for most high light animals. My friensd has clams in a 120 under 250's and they are growing like a weed.

Well I took the plunge and got the 400's. If they prove to be too much light I will just hang it from the ceiling. Now im going to have to post about how to photo acclimate what I already have to that light.

Well I took the plunge and got the 400's.
Good Move..

If they prove to be too much light I will just hang it from the ceiling. Now im going to have to post about how to photo acclimate what I already have to that light.
LOL.. What i would do is get some window screen and put it over the tank in multiple layers to stop some of the light.. Each week pull off 1 layer and see how the corals respond... I would start with 5 or 6 sheets to begin with... make the tank look a bit darker than it was before the new lighting..

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom