Considering Kalk but need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am getting a little tired of dosing 30 - 60ml of b-ionic every morning, as well as testing CAL and ALK every day or at least every other to make sure its in-line. I dont know jack about Kalk and wanted to discuss my setup for opinions. I have a 32G trashcan behind my tank that holds fresh RO/DI its setup on a vaccum pump, attached to a float switch that keeps my water level stable and toped off. There really is no rhyme or reason to the intervals that the top off pump kicks on. All that being said, can I start mixing up Kalk into my top off reservoir and move away from the b-ionic?

Thanks in advance!

not sure i would run it that way myself!! better to add 1/2 gal or whats needed every day or at least every other day by dripping it into you sump and better to add after lights go out :) i personally like it alot better than any 2 part ca

Yes, but if I remember the pump your using for top off...it get's clogged using RO water, I think it will get clogged even quicker using kalk. I'd set it up with a small powerhead ;)

Kevin, I am not fully understanding which point your going with. Yes I could run it with my auto top if I switched from my crappy aqualifter to a small PH, or yes I should use a different bucket with my powerhead?

thanks

I would switch powerheads. The bucket is fine, although possibly larger than I would use. The only time that is a problem, is if the float valve sticks on ;)

My main concern is now:
1. the kalk will be dosed mainly during the photo period. What to consider there?
2. I evap around 2.5 - 3G a day, is that too much kalk to safely use in my auto system?
3. Any brand of Kalk better than another?

The only time that is a problem, is if the float valve sticks on

My system is redundant, I have a high and low level shutoff, so if the float sticks on, it will only be allowed to fill 1/4" before the high level kills the stuck float.

It doesn't really matter how much water you put in but rather how much calcium hydroxide you put in. Try putting in a 1/2tsp/gal or so and increase or decrease as needed to adjust ppm Ca. You may find you need to put some vinegar in the water to dissolve more of the calcium hydroxide to get enough Ca in your tank. When dosing kalk this way, the more evaporation the better.
3. Any brand of Kalk better than another?
Not really. To save money use ordinary pickling lime from the grocery store. I use Mrs. Wages. Some people use Ball. If you have loads of cash, use the stuff from the LFS. Kent is a good brand. It's all the same though, 100% calcium hydroxide.

Back
Top Bottom