Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

I understand. Look back to when your problems started and look at what you changed. That's why I recommend doing one thing at a time so you can see what works or doesn't work.

There seems to be some relation that turf algae outbreaks once resolved turns into cyano issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That may be something. The cyano began just when I got my big center rock covered in the algae and poured 2 pints of hydrogen peroxide on it slowly, let it sit 10 minutes, then let it sit for 1/2 hour in ro/di water with stress coat in it. I rinsed it thoroughly and placed it back in the tank. A few days later, cyano. I wondered if there was a correlation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You may have nuked the bacteria in that rock with the peroxide and fresh water soak.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

My gosh that's explains everything. You should have mentioned that hydrogen peroxide on the 1st page. I was right when I first mentioned you do not have enough bb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

What I would suggest is you prepare a shallow plastic container with new sand and rocks to cure while you are away. Use Nutrafin on tank and replace sand with cured one when ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right, I realize that I killed the BB on that rock. It is a branching rock that weighs only two pounds of the more than 20 I have in the tank. I can't imagine it would have done as much damage as the turf algae I had had for a couple of months that was spreading to my corals. Admittedly, in what you guys are saying, is that the timeline of the hydrogen peroxide and the cyano is very close and could be related. But, I still MAY have my doubts. I tried everything on that Gelidium, including putting the rock in my lap for 30 minutes at a time and picked the little Vines off with tweezers. The next day it had come back.
Ok, the possibility may exist that I caused the cyano and the ammonia. Of course I did, otherwise it wouldn't be there. I have to fix it now.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Well, she doesn't have enough bb but that rock slowly leached enough organics to allow cyano to grow. If that's the case, this is a tank cycle and ammonia is expected. Purigen is good for nitrates and silica. The Chemipure absorbs some toxins and phosphates. You need a ammonia reducer. Suggestions?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Purigen packaging states that it's good for removing ammonia as well. I, frankly, am running out of room. Yes, this appears to be a belated cycle, but I would have expected diatoms and not cyano. I had also read (I read everything) that shrimp will be the first to go when params go haywire, but mine are flourishing. I guess I am fortunate all my critters are intact. Throughout all of this, I have lost only two Turbos, on the same day. Nothing else. I hate my ammonia kit, a Seachem with these little dots you put in a few drops of tank water. Admittedly, it's easy, but is it correct?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you have any prime water additive? That will neutralize the ammonia, at least temporarily. This can help the critters in the tank but wont do much for your overall issue.

Nuking that rock may have also caused the ammonia spike, putting it in fresh water would have killed the bacteria and anything else on the rock. Then putting it back in and saltwater let the dying organisms infect the tank so to speak.
if it were me, and this is just my opinion, I would go with the prime to keep the fish and critters safe as well as the beneficial bacteria additive. I would leave the sand, but siphon out the cyano that you can. Then just keep up with water changes. Go to a limited light cycle while you are gone and get to those water changes when you get back.
Just what I would do....
Old 08-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Carey. I do have some Prime. Didn't know you could use it for salt. Will do that before bed. I've been so worried about the critters, that I've been afraid I'd wake up every morning and they'd be gone. I will take the advice that the others, and you too, have given and I might get out of this alive. Or at least the critters will.

Tags
cyano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com