Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've certainly not meant to disagree with anyone or discount an opinion. Please don't take it that way. I'm just trying to sort out and understand all the info I'm getting to help my problems. I am trying to take everyone's ideas and put them into play. Please continue to come up with more ideas to help me figure out what's going on and how to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Like I said earlier, the ammonia and nitrites would be my first order of business.

BUT as far as the alkalinity, i had been using soda ash that i purchased from BRS. A couple teaspoons and bam, done and adjusted.
I am not sure if soda ash is the same thing as baking soda, but i think it may be. I paid like $8 for a huge canister of it and you dont add it to the ato top off water by the way.

If it were my tank, after addressing the ammonia and nitrites I would dose once with red slime remover. This would give you a headstart on the cyano. It would wipe out what you have so you could start off with a clean slate after the water change you do after dosing slime remover. Cheating? maybe..... effective? YES
I admire the resolve to not add chemicals to your tank but with all that you have going on with the parameters I would make an exception this one time. lol

Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Here's the calculator I use to figure out proper dosages for my tank. You can raise alk about 1 dKh a day safely. You plug in your gallons an then the product youre using to dose. it will tell you how much is needed to raise it from where its at to where you need it. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

And I agree the ammonia, Trites and trates are number one priority. Test your makeup water too for any trace of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, Carey. I believe the params are the most important thing, too. They get out of hand, my fish, etc. die. I can't let that happen. I will work first on the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia by verifying the previous results, then another water change. I have Purigen on order and will be here Tuesday and will be installed immediately. The article I read mentioned you could use soda ash as well by taking baking soda and baking it for 4 hours. After that, he never mentioned what to do with it! . What do you do with it?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bribo12, that's an awesome calculator! What product(s) would you suggest?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I use 2 part b ionic and have never had pH problems with using that calculator to figure out the right doses. I just dose it slowly over the span of a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Have heard others mention that product so it must be good. Will check it out.
And Carey, you stated 2 tsp (I think), do you just sprinkle it in the tank? Same amount for any size tank? Do I sound like an idiot, because I feel like it?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use the BRS calculator. It was about 2 teaspoons for my 125g so it would be less for a smaller tank. As stated above by bribo I think, do not adjust more than a dkh a day. I mix the powder in freshwater and make sure it is dissolved and then add to my sump or very slowly into the tank in the powerhead flow or the return flow. You dont want any to land directly on corals or it can burn them.

I have had fish try to eat it with no ill effects though, go figure.....

Glad your first priority is the ammonia and nitrite. If you do some larger water changes to get them in check I bet your alkalinity comes up as well. If you are using a reef grade salt that is. The best all natural way of correcting inbalances in alk, mag and calcium is to do a water change. The fresh saltwater will bring all those levels up after your corals have depleted them.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I make saltwater twice a week using r/o d/I and IO Reef Crystals. Hope that's a good salt. After research, I found out that the Georgia Aquarium, which is one of my favorite places, uses this salt. I will use the calculator for the quantity of soda ash to use, but I changed 19 gallons of a 28 gallon tank Friday, so I will retest tomorrow, then, if necessary, will do a massive change again first. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Reef crystals are just fine, thats what I use the majority of the time.

And yes, retest and let us know.

Tags
cyano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com