Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Somebody may chime in, but that sand could be creating a big die off that is spiking your ammonia. I always start out with sterile aragonite (some like sand) and let the substrate absorb beneficial bacteria that thrives in your tank, rather than the stuff that might be in live sand. My guess the ammonia spike is die off of some kind. It should work itself out with water exchanges.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of die-off? That of all the BB? Should I add that Dr. Tim's stuff? I deliberately added the gravel to only a half the tank at a time to allow it to, so to speak, repopulate. This might be the best answer I've been able to get as to why my ammonia is so high and is getting consistently higher. I know I've got to get it down and doing two large (more than 10 gallon) water changes twice a week. Is that enough and how long should it be before I can hope to get it under control?
Thanks for the help, By the way.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, and just to specify, the added gravel isn't live, it's dry and I rinsed it like crazy before I put it in.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Let's hear from some of the other folks. I might be tempted to replace the sand slowly with something sterile like fine to medium aragonite. But that's just me. You don't want to make things worse, but you could slowly siphon a bit of sand each water exchange. Rinse the new sand with old tank water and using a cup replace a bit at a time. Might wait until you get back home to get started. A ammonia absorber might be in order for now. The ammonia has to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep on the ammonia. I bought Purigen and, to save me from dumping a cat on the floor and having to get out of my chair to look, doesn't it absorb ammonia? If not, what else can I use?
I think I'm overtired and can't think clearly. I found out today that my mom may be going blind, so I'm trying to handle that as well as a sick tank. I can't sleep at night, trying to figure out how to help my tank, and now, my mom. Your opinion on adding the Dr. Tim's BB?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anybody else want to chime in and examine Gregcoyote's ideas? Would be interested to hear from everyone.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Greg could be on to something with that, it could definitely cause a spike if you had a large amount if life die off in the sand bed. And replacing the sand is probably a really good idea. I would wait to add new sand until after you've got all the old sand out though. You could go bare bottom until you get the cyano under control, and it will be much easier with out the sand to remove the cyano. You can also add a little more flow across the bottom of the tank with out the sand, and that should also help keep the cyano at bay. When you add the new sand use a funnel and a piece of PVC pipe a little longer than your tanks height and it will be much easier to get the sand where you want it and keep the water cloudiness to a minimum.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have an option to either change water more often and also change your substrate and start all over again

or

Just use this product which I already had posted earlier. You can never overdose your tank with this one. In fact I poured the whole bottle in my 60 gal tank with no ill effect. It helps your tank cycle faster. It removes ammonia and nitrite.

Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement (4 oz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok guys. I will try the Nutrafin. When I come back from the trip, I will work on the sandbed. Flow is adjusted, and is doing fairly well on part of the front. Cyano is climbing the glass in the corner behind the torch. I guess the torch is so thick, the flow can't get thru. We will do several water changes before I leave. How long would it take, without treatment, for the new dry gravel on top of live sand take to repopulate with BB?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dry rock or substrate curing depends on the kind of process used to cycle the tank. Normally with no livestock 2 weeks is enough with the right amount of ammonia from raw shrimp. With the presence of livestock in the tank, you can not have ammonia present in your tank therefore the curing takes much longer which could take months. However, if you are adding bb or additives it shortens the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com