Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. So what I've got here is a mini-cycle. Haven't fed the fish since Thursday or Friday, I forget now, and then it was pellets. I will feed rinsed frozen Mysis today before the water change. I will get the BB additive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It's still going to cause another ammonia spike. I would continue the water exchanges or get the livestock out for a while. Your live rock will have enough bacteria to repopulate the sand if you change it out. I would get rid of the die off source if it's the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that ammonia will come back when you stop the cycling treatment with Nutrafin. New sand will have the same process as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Why would sterile sand add to the bio load? If it's the "live" sand causing this, removing it would be my first action before using any bio booster. But Jeff may be right that it will reduce the cycle, but not eliminate it.

Best advice I have is remove the sand entirely by siphoning it out so you don't release more organic material into the tank. Nothing wrong with going bare bottom for a while and add aragonite later. I don't like silica based sands as they can promote diatoms. JMO

Alternately you could just keep up big water exchanges until it all flushes out. But the ammonia is dangerous, so be monitoring that closely.

You'll get it to finally settle out. It's why we recommend waiting a few weeks at least before slowly adding live stock. Smaller systems are even a bit more challenging as stability is one key to keeping a reef and the more water, the slower things change. Best of luck !

Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, it sounds as if I can't win for losing. Can't get the livestock out because I have nowhere to put them. I also have 4 freshwater tanks. Space is definately limited. Will do another 10-15 gallon water change tomorrow and vacuum out the top layer of gravel. I added the BB additive this afternoon and put Purigen in the trickle filter with Chemi-Pure Blue, Poly-Filter and some floss. Would vacuuming the top layer of gravel (which is covered in cyano) cause problems with regaining my BB since I added the additive? A reminder: I only put the new gravel in there in the first place because I had vacuumed out so much of my original live sand substrate trying to get rid of the the turf algae I began with and the cyano I have had for 4 months now. I like the looks of a substrate rather than a bare bottom tank and was trying to give cover, etc to the Nass snails and brittle star.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, and I checked. The gravel I placed on top of the original 1/2 inch of sand I had left is aragonite dry.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Did you mention how much live rock you have and where it came from?

The BB will circulate in the water and permeate everywhere it can.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Cyano is a really common pain. I am also battling some for the first time in years, but I just remove it. It will eventually go away. It is very sensitive to flow. So adding or redirecting power heads will help a lot.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And another comment. I know this is a long forum, so I like to remind everyone occasionally what transpired before. This is a 2 year old tank started with live rock and live sand. The 1/2 inch of sand I had left was from the original 3 inch sandbed of two years ago.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, I should just keep vacuuming the very top layer of substrate to help get rid of the cyano while I'm working on the ammonia problem? What causes cyano to hit a 2 year old tank anyway?

Tags
cyano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com