Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Controller questions.

Looking for a highly customizable controller.
I want to be able to run an ato on the controller. But I will have it fed directly from a ro/di filter. I want sensors to detect levels so the controller will need to switch on and off a water control solenoid. On top of that I want to be able to control another solenoid to flush the membrane before topping off. Will something do that or am I asking too much?

Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know my controller. the reefkeeper can do that. You might have to get another module for the second set of sensors though. My out of the box one controls my ATO and has another sensor port left since I only used one float sensor.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which reef keeper do you have? What I want is like this:
1 water level gets low controller sayd ok we need water, but first let me open this switch for 5 minutes (open valve to flush ro membrane) then close it, after that open this switch (ro/di output to fill tank/sump/whatever), ok tank/sump if full enough now close all switches.
Also to control lights and ph and also test water parameters, and what parameters can they reliably test for? Calcium, ph, salinity, phosphate, the big 3 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Can they do all these?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

you can do as many commands as you can think of, as long as you have a switch to set off you can assign that switch any operation, open on **event** close after 5 minutes. I hope I'm explaining it right. lol I have the reefkeeper elite, it has the ability to have I think 63 modules attached to it, the reefkeeper lite only lets you attach 4. the basic head unit comes with 2 switches available and you can buy extra switch modules as well. take a look at their home page, it's digital aquatics.

As far as testing and monitoring, it can do ph, salinity, temperature and orp. It can do things based on that information, like I have my heater on all the time but if the temp gets to a certain point I have it turn my heater off.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got the reefkeeper lite and I love it. Only thing that sux is I didn't know I need to buy a bus cable with the package I got. So I can't run my ato with the float, or hook up my ph probe. So just a heads up marinedepot.com has a good deal on the lite with the sl1 and ph probe for 180. But u need a bus cable to hook up the sl1 which u need for a float switch.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh and Carey. I thought u used the tunze top off? Digital aquatics needs to make an eye like the tunze. I bet they would sell the heck out of it. I did a quick search last night to find an industrial one I could rig up but didn't come up with anything. I'm gonna look again now.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was using a JBJ top off which is now being used on the 90g since I got the controller. I love this thing, I even have my powerheads making a wave in my tank lol, very cool....
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have heard nothing but good things about these. If your A tech nerd they say these are for you. I plan to get one just as soon As I can.

Store - Reef Angel Controller
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

**** it man. Y did you have to show me that. Now I'm pissed. That thing looks sweet. And a great price.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks a lot for the input guys.
I still got a lot more to look at just between the RKL and RKE!!
Gotta love the internet. I am totally confused by the Reef Angel. Maybe a lil more research...

Tags
controller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com