Controlling Mushroom Anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a whole bunch of orange mushroom anemones and they are growing and multiplying. I really don't want to kill anything, but I also don't want to let them completely take over. What do other aquarists do in this situation?

I would butt some rock rubble around where you want to contain the shrooms. Then as they move onto the rubble/rocks remove them for sale. If you remove the shroom from the rock it will likely grow back anyway unless you get it all off. The good news is that they're easy to propagate. The bad news, unfortunately, is that they are easy to propagate!

Good luck with them!

If you were living in AU I would say give me a yell so that I can come around and take some off your hands. I recon a reef aquarium with only mushroom anemones would look fantastic!

set up a seperate tank for them. i plan on setting up a nano with only shrooms and rock. i love them. low light, easy to care for. prime candidate for a small tank with good filtration.i think it will be low cost to maintain also since you dont really have to add many chems.

Anyone know what the minimum watts per gallon apply for mushroom anemones?

hmmm... I have 1.2wpg (1x35w white, 1x30w actinic) in a 55g tank... my mushrooms seem fine. Is there lower light ones?

some dont need much light at all. i think the more fancy they are the more light they need.i have about 3 wpg no flour. lighting and some of my plain reds live in the shade under rocks. they reproducing as well as the ones high in the tank. i know yuma's and ricord's need higher light.
some say suplamental feeding will be needed but mine do not seem to want anything i give to them.who really knows. i just know that they are easy to please. that i like.

flanque:-what type do you have in your tank?

Heck, I wish there was someone nearby who wanted some. I'd be happy to adopt them out.

Cindy, here's a pic, you tell me, mushroom anemones or mushroom coral? The aren't free-swimming. They're listed under corallimorphs in my inverts book, but they get referred to as both polyps and anemones.

Attachments

• shrooms_435.jpg
    shrooms_435.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 93
I think the key is to have multiple coloured ones so it varies. I was told the guy who was the main supplier of those in Sydney was the same guy who got eaten by a crocodile in Queensland.. it figures since all the LFS have had a serious shortage of them and now charge a premium for them.. $6 per damn flower!!

slice them off the rock, mount them on rubble and sell them to the LFS for credit if nothing else.

sdellin said:
They're listed under corallimorphs in my inverts book, but they get referred to as both polyps and anemones.

That is what they are. Thanks for the pics. Your initial post just confused me a bit, sorry. They are easy enough to remove. You could remove them using a chisel and scraping them from the rock. Be sure to get a small layer of rock as well. That makes it easier to attach and it insures you got the entire shroom. Good luck.

Are you able to just pysically cut them away with a blade or something?

Seems a bit hostile..

Aquarium Corals (the Borneman book) lists them under the corals family, but notes they have weird characteristics, and a very unstudied.

Some do eat fish :) :roll:

Yes, as Hara suggest, they can be just sliced off. It's not hostile, it's actually a pretty typical way of moving/propogating them.

if your talking about apstia...i used hot water...and a sgringe....took the rock out and shot boiling hot water at the anemone...so far seems to have worked...burns the whole thing off

Greenmaji, they said they used to take things for credit, now they say they can take critters, but they don't give credit. I learned that a few months ago when I wanted to exchange a fish I bought from them!!!!

Ace - I've got to get to Sacramento! Do you have/need shrooms?

I will check out the link suggested, but if anyone in the Vacaville area wants some, I'd be happy to share, I don't mind just donating a few.

Back
Top Bottom