Controlling phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to reef tank! What do I need to do to keep my phosphates low? Preventative maintenance ideas!
Thanks

Yep, #1 thing is using ro/di water. Also, if you feed frozen you can rinse the food before adding it as the water its frozen in is chock full of phosphates.

Yup I use ro/di, was rinsing frozen food then stopped so will start again!

Probably also depends on filtration. If it's not the strongest possible then probably feeding dry food is a good way to avoid overfeeding. I quit feeding frozen food and feed my fish about five 1mm pellets per fish each day. Nitrates have been between 0-10 at the highest. No phosphate problems. Hair algae is gone.

Also, keeping bio load on a lighter side. More fish require more food. More food means more fish poop. To me increase in phosphates almost always went hand in hand with increase in nitrates.

I think over feeding the frozen is the source of my problem!
Thanks all

But was feeding extra as I was trying to get my trumpet coral fed! Got out of hand for a few days!

I only feed 3 times a week twice with flake and once with frozen. Depending on who you ask feeding most corals is unnecessary, but I feed all of my LPS once a week. I stopped for awhile and I feel I noticed a difference, but that's a debatable subject. I think most though will agree feeding everyday is a bit much, unless you have amazing filtration.

Ok so every other day is lots! That's good, I will slow down the feeding! That works for me.

I have a 8 gal sump with a tunze skimmer, also use the bioptim!

Tank is a 39 gal with 2 clowns, 2 chromis, a gold head goby and a hawkfish!

Back
Top Bottom