Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Convert 15g tank to a reef tank

Hi there I'm contemplating moving my fish out my 15 gallon freshwater tank and moving into a less nicer 15 gallon and converting the better tank into a reef tank with maybe a clown and a cleaner shrimp nano tank.

What extra kit will I need? I know I'll have to gut the tank, get crushed coral as substrate and I local fish shop sells heated ro water with salt pre mixed very cheap which is PAC solved, just what extra kit do I need for a reef and fish tank that size? Will I need protein skimmers? Upgrade filtration? I got a fluval u2 filter at the mo, my light will need upgrading for deffo but will I need 2 bulbs? So many questions but wanna get it right!

I have small knowledge of saltwater tanks but equipment I'm not sure on and whether things are needed or recommended! Don't want more than a clown and cleaner as it's only a small tank!

"fish are friends, not food"

Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You need Live sand (or crushed coral if that is what you prefer) Some live rock, a tank that size does not need a protein skimmer just keep up on your water changes. For a reef tank rule of of thumb for lighting is 3-5 watts per gallon. First and foremost get a salt water test kit! Good luck

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get a new small tank for very little. Why go through the trouble of moving things. Just buy a new tank... my lfs sells tanks $1/gallon sometimes.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.A.Bit.Salty
You need Live sand (or crushed coral if that is what you prefer) Some live rock, a tank that size does not need a protein skimmer just keep up on your water changes. For a reef tank rule of of thumb for lighting is 3-5 watts per gallon. First and foremost get a salt water test kit! Good luck
That include a salinity check? Cheers for that as I was looking at protein skimmers an all, that size would be ok to house a clown and cleaner wouldn't it? Oh and how often and how much would you do for a pwc?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I do a 30% every week sometimes every two weeks, some would say that's a little much but that is just me, keeps my corals happy. With a smaller tank like that a lot of people have success doing the small water change more often rather than a big water change every once in a while. such as 5 gallons a week. Your bio-load will be pretty small so I'm sure you could keep up with 5 gallons every two weeks. And yea the clown and cleaner shrimp will be fine.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Well I do a 30% every week sometimes every two weeks, some would say that's a little much but that is just me, keeps my corals happy. With a smaller tank like that a lot of people have success doing the small water change more often rather than a big water change every once in a while. such as 5 gallons a week. Your bio-load will be pretty small so I'm sure you could keep up with 5 gallons every two weeks. And yea the clown and cleaner shrimp will be fine.
Good good thanks for the advice you saved me money and steered me in the right direction, do is there nothing else tank equipment I'll need apart from the lighting upgrade?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Um the only other thing I can think of now is some sort of a powerhead because you will need some water movement for the corals
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Um the only other thing I can think of now is some sort of a powerhead because you will need some water movement for the corals
Wouldn't the fluval u2 filter provide enough movement on the bottom setting? If not I'll look into it? Any recommendations with make and models?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea I forgot how small the tank was, yea the filter should be plenty enough flow, and if not you will be able to tell later on once your corals are in the tank. If you do need one I would suggest a koralia nano.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Yea I forgot how small the tank was, yea the filter should be plenty enough flow, and if not you will be able to tell later on once your corals are in the tank. If you do need one I would suggest a koralia nano.
Thanks I'll keep that one in mind! I've heard here and there that nano tanks are harder to keep, is this true? If so why?

Tags
15 gallon, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com