converted wet dry -- fuge/sump plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickthapainter

Aquarium Advice Activist
Afternoon everyone,

Am slowly starting to get everything squared away-- my last project beeing a sump fuge.

I have at my disposal an old wet/dry filter box (just have to add 2 more baffles for the bubble trap. This will be used as my sump (skimmer and drain from tank on one side; retun pump on the other).

I'll be using a 50 gal tank for the fuge. I'm planning on adding a bulkhead to the tank and then piping this back to the sump.

Should the return from the fuge to the sump go directly into the return pump compatment or to the skimmer compartment (behind the bubble trap)?

I don't want to skim away any beneficial pods, but I also don't want to add bubbles to the display?

TIA

nick

I dont see why you could not put the fuge return in with the skimmer. Pods will be to heavy to get taken out by the skimmer.

I dump my fuge on the return side, the flow out of the fuge should be very slow so bubbles will not be a issue. I figured 1 less pump for the pods do deal with, if the get sucked into the skimmer pump they will be fine in the skimmer but the pump Im sure kills some of them. JMO2.
I gravity feed the fuge into the sump.....

Thanks guys.

I'll try directly through the return side first. If there are any bubble problems, I'll just have to extend my retun pipe.

Back
Top Bottom