converting a hob filter to a hang on refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever done this? How would you maybe install some kind of baffle system to keep the sand and "things" from being disturbed? All of the commercial ones say they have "a unique baffle system" to keep the water flow smooth. I know a hob is a kind of fuge anyways, but I was wondering if it was possible to make it a real fuge with sand, rock, plants, and pods without messing with the impeller. Maybe drilled plexiglass? Any ideas out there? :?: :?: :?:

This is really easy actually. The easist filters to use are Aquaclear 300s and 500s, you do not need to do anything too fancy basic steps are (ALL INFORMATION AND PICS ARE FROM www.nano-reef.com):

1. Buy a 300 filter and 150 impeller.
2. Change impeller to slow flow to 150 gph or less
3. Use side panel of media basket to sketch out baffle on plexi
4. Fit and trim so top egde of baffle is 1/2" lower than outflow
spillway to tank.
5. Glue in baffle even with left edge of outflow with silicone.
6. Cut bottom of basket and glue across spill way to stop
chaetomorha and caulerpa pieice from escaping.
7. Fill with 1" of live sand, several pieces of rubble and plants.

Then you end up with something like:

fuge1.jpg

fuge2.jpg

I am setting up a AC300 fuge myself, I am going to use the standard impeller, but also use a surface skimmer which really cuts down the flow rate.

I just happen to have an Aquaclear 300 as my filter on my QT. I think I'll try that out. Thanks that looks like just what I was thinking about. I was going to try it on my Tetratec 500 but I think I'll try it on the AC300 first just in case I &$%# it up the first try. Then if it works I can go ahead and have one on both tanks.

Oh yeah how about lighting? I was just looking on ebay and they have two small light fixtures. The mini-might and the mini aqualight. Both have two 9w bulbs either 1 daylight and 1 actinic or 2 10,000 kelvin daylight depending on if it's freshwater or salt. I would think that for a fuge it might not matter which I use since it's only for pods and macroalgae. Any thoughts for low cost lighting for this small of a fuge?

Well we got it converted and added a Mini-aqualight with day and actinic lighting. It works like a charm. 1 1/2 inches of sand/coral and a couple pieces of lr rubble and a handful of caulaurpa algae and it's a little beauty. Thanks for all the advice and the website hookup.

Back
Top Bottom