Converting fresh to salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrogFrenzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank and I was hoping to convert it to salt. Could I keep the stand, tank, filter, etc? What else do I need to buy that I don't already have for my freshwater tank? What would be an estimated cost for the supplies I don't already have?

I'm new to this too! I got a hang on skimmer for £60 a powerhead for £30 , live rock was £180 (149l tank) , live sand was £50 and my light was £150. You obviously need salt water but I can't remember how much mine was. Hope this is some help. My set up is fairly basic but I want to get more experience before I spend loads of money. My lighting is led by the way. I will post a picture

Attachments

• image-2124324122.jpg
    image-2124324122.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 68
If you are going to do a fowlr tank then all you need is some live rock and aragonite substrate. I would suggest buying around 20 lbs of live rock which you can get from bulk reef supply for $3 / lb. If you want to go with a reef tank however you will need to upgrade the lighting system which is expensive.

It is also HIGHLY recommended to get a ro/di unit or secure some way of acquiring ro/di water from a lfs or fellow reefer in your area.

Some other things to look at is adding a refugium onto the tank as well as a skimmer.

Just like you, I took the plunge into saltwater with my 20g freshwater tank. I kept the hang on filter, swapped the rocks for live rock. I had crushed coral so i didnt need to mess with substrate. I had a puffer that i was converting to salt so i increased my salinity by .002 every week. If youre not converting fish you can go full salinity but the tank will still need to cycle. I wouldnt worry about a skimmer right now until you have a heavy bioload, although you can buy used hang on skimmers for cheap nowadays ($30-$80). Price of reef lighting depends on what type/brand of lights you would want (t5, LED).

Back
Top Bottom