Converting fresh to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small tank that was freshwater with a beta in it. Just wondering if i wana convert it to a salt tank can i just add some instant ocean or do i need to get rid of all the water thats been in there? Seems a waste to get rid of the beneficial bacteria that were in there.

good question but i think that the bacteria might die with all the salt added, the bacteria might be different from fresh too marine, how smal of a tank are you talking about here? is your first salt tank going too be a nano tank?

ya its my 2nd nano. I think youre right and the bacteria that help freshwater are different with a salt tank. Its only a 1 gallon nano :p just something to dump on my desk at my office but i think i might do a 5 gallon instead.

If your experenecd with nano saltwater tanks now I will save you from my lecture on starting off with a small SW tank vs a larger one.

I vote for a complete breakdown of the FW setup.

i know its risky to use a small tank. I have 10 gal nano right now that is going good. Its just a matter of paying attention to it and not over feeding and good lighting.

just something to dump on my desk at my office

I hope it doesn't actually dump on your desk.

hee hee!!!

Back
Top Bottom