Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

converting sump to fuge

I am thinking of converting my pro-clear 150 sump into a fuge. How do I go about doing this? It has three compartments. The water comes into the first one from the tank. This where it is skimmed and I have my heater. Then it is forced over a wall and goes though a filter pad before trickling down over the bioballs and LR rubble. At the bottom of this there is a thick sponge dividing this compartment from the one with the mag. 7 return pump. I have amy GAC bag just before my reurn pump. Can I just fill the middle compartment with a DSB and mor live rock? Put a Coralife CF light over it and call it a fuge? Any advice is appriciated. Thanks! Lando

Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well this is what i did. in the 1st box i have my skimmer and heater. in the 2nd box i put the poly filter and drip tray. and just under that i put ls and lr. i left the sponge there becasue the sand dose nto like to stay in place and in the 3rd box is the return pump. mine dose not have a light and i would just remove the tray and the poly and put light over the 2nd box. but remember if you take out a wall in the sump or make a hole in it you no longer have the life time warrenty. i do not have the pro 150 i have the pro 75 so i am guessing they are the same just yours is bigger.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may just try the LS/LR combo first as well before adding a light. I still the idea of having a filter pad to take out the chuncks. Do you have any crabs or snails in your sump?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

if the water goes into the pump compartment from the bottom, you might have an issue with sand going into the pump compartment. This would be bad. You could put a piece of acrylic or something to keep the sand in its place just as long as your water can get into the pump compartment.

I looked into a drop in refugium once. Marine depot and premium aquatics sell it. It just drop into an existing sump. Might be able to just drop into the bio ball compartment with no worries of sand moving. Not sure of the dimensions of your sump though.

HTH
Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A drop in fuge is not a bad idea. I will have to look into that. WarOaks...Did you remove the egg creat platform that the bioballs sat on or did you leave it in place and put your LR on top of it? Thanks...Lando
Old 08-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

took the egg crate out. but as for the sand going in to the pump i do not have this problem becasue i stil;l have that big sponge in place. right after the sand and right before the pump. i can try to take some pic if that would help. but i still have that pre filter on (the poly one). in the morning i will try to take some. on a side note it looks like i might be getting a job at world of fish. i will find out in the morning if i got the job or not.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

took the egg crate out. but as for the sand going in to the pump i do not have this problem becasue i stil;l have that big sponge in place. right after the sand and right before the pump. i can try to take some pic if that would help. but i still have that pre filter on (the poly one). in the morning i will try to take some. on a side note it looks like i might be getting a job at world of fish. i will find out in the morning if i got the job or not.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. I will look forward to the pics. Good luck on the job at World of Fish, i hope you get it. Funny you mentioned that. The owner of Sea Dreams just asked me for a resume and is interested in hiring me part-time. I told him I would not be available until fall (too much stuff to do in the summer) but would be willing to talk to him then. He mentioned the employee discount and got my attention. Let me know about World of Fish...Lando
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok so here is a pic of my sump.

hope this helps
Old 08-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

that helps, thanks! I will go with DSB and LR rubble. I am undecided if I will leave in the filter pad. I figure it would not hurt so why not. Did you get the message I sent you about the Zoos in your gallery? Just wondering where you got them, I have been looking for super-colored zoos for months. Lando

Tags
converting, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com