Convict Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meagan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been looking for a convict tang at our many LFS here. But we always miss them.

I'm really hesitant to order one online and have it shipped to my place. Can anyone recommend me a good online store?

And if I were to purchase one online would I need to have a quranteen tank, or would I acclimate it the same as I were to get him at the LFS?

:thanks:

Liveaquaria.com is a high quality, fair priced online store, and so is bluezooaquatics.com. Both have gotten great reviews. However, with any online store usually if your purchase is under $175 (for liveaquaria it needs to be over $200) then shipping is $30-40! You might want to reserve the next convict tang at your lfs if you're able to, unless you are willing to pay that money. Tangs are more prone to ick than most, so I'd say you should quarantine it so your other fish is not effected, b/c if they were, you'd have to quarantine all of them. Drip acclimation is best..so acclimate them to the QT tank and put them in the QT and moniter/treat if needed for a month.

Thanks for the websites, and yes looking at them their shipping is expensive. A couple of our LFS have offered to special order for a deposit. So I may go that route. We don't have a QT tank. Which I probably need to start getting together I'm sure.

I've use vividaquariums.com with good success. They are located on the west coast as am I.

+1 for vividaquariums.com they are very high quality and mrsaltwater did an episode on it. Must be amazing in person...I'm only 2 or more hours away...:whistle:

I looked at the website as well. These look really good. I think I am going to ask one of my LFS to special order, I think. They have to have a signature for delivery and I can never guarantee when me or my boyfriend will be here. But looking at these sites there are so many fish I have never seen at the LFS here and its very tempting!!!

If you write in the comments "no signature required" I don't think you have to...unless there are exceptions.

You can also setup for pickup at a FedEx location or Saturday delivery, I did both when I ordered.

Awesome... I'm also worried about the conditions for shipping I think thats holding me back the most. But I know the LFS deals with this too....

Yeah depending on what fish/invert you want. Myself I wouldn't order a delicate fish like a powder blue tang but most fish I would. I had a flame angel, hi-fin goby, and a mated pair of gold band maroons shipped to me and I have had all four for six months, not to mention the two shrimps I got at the same time & still have those as well.

I have purchased several fish from Live aquaria.com. Actually, last week I ordered and received a Kole Tang from them. Their quality is superior. I always end up receiving items bigger than they appear on their website versus the other way around. I have had a few issues and they always took care of it. For example in one of my orders my fire shrimp died during the drip acclimation. They gave me a full refund without any questions. I have also found them to be about 25% cheaper than my LFS. To counter the extreme shipping costs, I always order multiple items to capitalize on the free shipping. I have also ordered from reefs2go, twice, but I have not been happy with their service.

I would see what price your LFS can get do. Most I have dealt with are happy to special order.

Silly question, but are you planning to put that Tang in the 35g you have listed?

Convicts can get 7-8" and need a much larger tank (125g). That kinda goes for most Tangs. People will argue how large, but I tend to agree that Tangs need larger space to cruise around. Will smaller kill them? No. Is it healthy for them? No. I sure would not go smaller than 75g.

Back
Top Bottom